Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Re: Do You Still Go To The Library?

Yes, I absolutely love my library/ies. (I have 3 in my home town alone.). I might not always read my selection, renewing all the time, (spend too much time on here!) but I can get prerty much get anything.

BTW, I keep a book of every loan, including columns for date due back, and whether I read it or not.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 08:40 PM

Oh Jazzi, you are so organised - I bet that makes interesting reading. I sometimes forget I've had a book so end up borrowing the same one twice, that's so annoying!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 08:52 PM

I go every weeks, get out 3 or 4 books, pick up all the free mags and read all the "what's going on notices". They're having a recycled library book competition again this year! http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Recyc...ail/story.html
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
It's just I don't personally use them anymore.
Paula, next time you're in town pop in, you might find they have some interesting magazines or newspapers and maybe even a snack bar where you could get a toastie and tea
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Yes, I absolutely love my library/ies. (I have 3 in my home town alone.). I might not always read my selection, renewing all the time, (spend too much time on here!) but I can get prerty much get anything.

BTW, I keep a book of every loan, including columns for date due back, and whether I read it or not.
I love my library too, I can spend an hour or so reading the magazines and newspapers in a quiet corner before choosing my books.
I read mainly in bed as it's relaxing. I never finish my books by the allotted time of 3 weeks and so I renew them online usually twice!

Remember years ago when you had to go to the library to renew them? I often forgot which resulted in a fine!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 10:40 PM

I love our village library - and the main one in town is being renovated so am looking forward to going there again. A kindle, to me, is a littler of kittens!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Paula, next time you're in town pop in, you might find they have some interesting magazines or newspapers and maybe even a snack bar where you could get a toasie and tea
Hi, we have a village library like Silver Tabby & I used to go to it. They don't have a snack bar though, lol. Is a toasie.....toast?
No really I don't have much time for extra curricular activities so that's another reason I enjoy my kindle. I'm usually so tired by late morning, I'll go outside & just sit & read if I can get the shade. Then back & forth in & out of the house with duties
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 10:49 PM

Nowadays we get email notifications when they are due back.

Cranberry, at the back of that notebook I also write in books I WANT to read, like a wishlist.

Honey,yes I like to read some mags too, depending on which branch I'm in.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Autumn - a toastie is a toasted sandwich with various fillings.

Losos - 'they' put a coffee bar into our library in town - the idea being it would encourage people to come into the library and possibly start reading. Instead it instantly turned it from a haven of peace into a nightmare! Now it is a really unpleasant place to be - full of buggies with screaming babies, out of control toddlers with sticky fingers and slimy noses racing about and, in at least two cases that I have witnessed, throwing the books at each other - while their mothers sit drinking cheap coffee and gossiping - and totally ignoring their revolting offspring.
I do go in occasionally - but only to collect a pre-ordered book - I never stay to look around any more.

At the moment it is closed for refurbishment having just been sold by the city council to a private company. It will be interesting to see what they make of it and fervently hope that - if it must have a coffee bar - it is totally separate from the main rooms - and sound proofed!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Autumn - a toastie is a toasted sandwich with various fillings.

Losos - 'they' put a coffee bar into our library in town - the idea being it would encourage people to come into the library and possibly start reading. Instead it instantly turned it from a haven of peace into a nightmare! Now it is a really unpleasant place to be - full of buggies with screaming babies, out of control toddlers with sticky fingers and slimy noses racing about and, in at least two cases that I have witnessed, throwing the books at each other - while their mothers sit drinking cheap coffee and gossiping - and totally ignoring their revolting offspring.
I do go in occasionally - but only to collect a pre-ordered book - I never stay to look around any more.

At the moment it is closed for refurbishment having just been sold by the city council to a private company. It will be interesting to see what they make of it and fervently hope that - if it must have a coffee bar - it is totally separate from the main rooms - and sound proofed!
ST - Yes I know exactly what you mean. The one in Bury St. Edmunds is not really a coffee bar, more a sort of simple restaurant. It was once upstairs near the books but after the library was redeveloped they put it downstairs near the door and well away from the books and 'quiet' areas, it seems to have worked and we don't get many of the types you described upstairs in the magazines and book sections (Well what would they do up there if they can't read )

I hope the new owners (Whether private or council) do the same thing and you can again go in and enjoy a peaceful hour or two reading and thinking

Thanks for explaining the 'toastie' thing, I'm sure Paula has them in Canada but they are called something else. Well I'll confuse everyone by saying they are also like the 'Croc Monsour' that the French love so much

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top