Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Re: Cancer is the best way to die?

Not read everything here but seeing both my parents die of different cancers
it is a terrible way to go. Without going into too upsetting details I would rather be shot than die that way
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I do not wish to shock anyone, but I do firmly believe there are some cancers that will never be cured. No matter how much money is spent. I think it is a specific cause of death for some. Maybe I? Just like heart disease. I hope no one takes offence to me saying that, but I believe it to be true. It can be a cruel disease, but not in every case. Thank goodness.
As there are descriptions of cancer written around 1600 B.C., and are believed to date from sources as early as 2500 B.C. one wonders really if that is actually true alice.

There have been some absolutely stunning medical discoveries and many of them actually pre-date current philosophy and understanding as ancient Sumerian tablets indicate that the Egyptians were merely followers of the research and experience of their predecessors thousands of years before.

We have few records or evidence beyond 5000 years ago but we do have hints of the knowledge that these ancient people knew and small but significant hints that man, as we know him, may not have been the first intelligent being to master his destiny.

There may have been a link missed somewhere and the Sumerians did offer evidence of "visitors" who were not human but were benign to the fledgling human race. stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
As there are descriptions of cancer written around 1600 B.C., and are believed to date from sources as early as 2500 B.C. one wonders really if that is actually true alice.

There have been some absolutely stunning medical discoveries and many of them actually pre-date current philosophy and understanding as ancient Sumerian tablets indicate that the Egyptians were merely followers of the research and experience of their predecessors thousands of years before.

We have few records or evidence beyond 5000 years ago but we do have hints of the knowledge that these ancient people knew and small but significant hints that man, as we know him, may not have been the first intelligent being to master his destiny.

There may have been a link missed somewhere and the Sumerians did offer evidence of "visitors" who were not human but were benign to the fledgling human race. stevmk2
steve, I've yet to see the evidence. I've got friends and family who've been survivors. Thank god. I've a friend who's now 5 stones and has been let down badly with all the invasive tests etc. Its been left too late for her, through no fault of her own. She's enjoying her last Christmas. I wish she'd been given the treatment she needed before it was too late.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote" There may have been a link missed somewhere and the Sumerians did offer evidence of "visitors" who were not human but were benign to the fledgling human race. stevmk2" unquote

And where did they land?

Milton Keynes

Sorry Steve could not resist that one
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Dr Richard Smith is the brother of comedian Arthur Smith,
is there a message in that somewhere?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 06:30 PM

In retrospect I think we need to look at the context in which Dr Smith is making this statement.

“You can say goodbye, reflect on your life, leave last messages, perhaps visit special places for a last time, listen to favourite pieces of music, read loved poems, and prepare, according to your beliefs, to meet your maker or enjoy eternal oblivion,” Dr Smith wrote in a blog published for the BMJ, a journal he edited until 2004.

“This is, I recognise, a romantic view of dying, but it is achievable with love, morphine, and whisky. But stay away from overambitious oncologists, and let’s stop wasting billions trying to cure cancer, potentially leaving us to die a much more horrible death,” he wrote.

In his blog, he argues that a quick, sudden death – despite being most people’s choice – can be hard on bereaved relatives and friends, particularly where there are unresolved issues in a relationship, while organ failure can leave people “far too much in hospital and in the hands of doctors,” he wrote.

A death following dementia, he writes “may be the most awful as you are slowly erased”.

Cancer remains one of the most common causes of mortality in the UK, accounting for nearly one in three deaths. Last year [2014] a major milestone was reached in the development of treatments when Cancer Research UK announced that half of cancer sufferers now survive
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...r-9952361.html
I think he making a generalisation and saying it is all about having the right amount of time to achieve the final things you wish to achieve without departing too quickly (which would not allow you do anything) or too slowly (prolonging life while at the same time causing unnecessary pain).
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 06:40 PM

I lost my sister in February last year after 3 years of what seemed to be torture on chemo and other therapies, as she was a private health insurance patient she would tell me the costs of her treatments, hundreds of thousands of pounds. I decided that if I had the same diagnosis, we have a lot of bowel cancer in our family, I would not go down the same route, some treatments would not be available on the NHS any way. I would not like to suffer in the same way no matter how much longer the doctors told me I could live, it catches up with you in the end.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 06:51 PM

Well you have to admit he lays it on the line, states what he thinks and he’s entitled to his views. I’ve seen folks die of nasty cancers and it's hard to witness but I won’t go into that. All I’ll say is that comparing one type of death to another(and that's what he's doing here) is not something I would like to spend much time thinking about, what will be will be, and I prefer to cross me bridges when I come to them, I’d rather spend what time I have left thinking about and doing the things I love best now, what was that old saying, something like "Now is all the time there may be"
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 09:23 PM

Another good saying Jem is live today there might not be another one.
I looked after my Mum with terminal cancer and her incredible pain and it took a year.
I had a warning this last year that might happen to me too so I am living life to the full whilst I can. If I go with a heart attack I would be quite pleased as I have made sure I have kept my family happy and my best friends close.
No regrets so on with the motley.
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2015, 09:28 PM

the guy is a complete nob............H

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top