Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:06 PM

Re: What makes a Forum ...

A good mix of people is a must.. A forum full of self rightous know it alls end up being place for them to blow their own trumpets and stamp on anyone elses opinion.

A good mix of subject matter is important to so that members can take their pick and join in on subjects that they feel able to make a contribution to without being made to feel foolish .
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
A good mix of people is a must.. A forum full of self rightous know it alls end up being place for them to blow their own trumpets and stamp on anyone elses opinion.

A good mix of subject matter is important to so that members can take their pick and join in on subjects that they feel able to make a contribution to without being made to feel foolish .
I agree Cass.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

Good answer Cass,I'll give You 10 out of 10 for it,;~)
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 05:11 PM

Well i've not been on here long and feel part of the community already.
So what does that say
I feel as if i can talk to each and everyone of you without feeling awkward and to me that's a good forum.
And also this is my first ever forum and i'm still learning a lot on it, so you will all have to bear with me ha ha...
The subject's are varied and that's just what i like
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Well i've not been on here long and feel part of the community already.
So what does that say
I feel as if i can talk to each and everyone of you without feeling awkward and to me that's a good forum.
And also this is my first ever forum and i'm still learning a lot on it, so you will all have to bear with me ha ha...
The subject's are varied and that's just what i like
I've been on a number of forums since 2007 or 2008 and I've met a lot of really nice people on most
of them.

Sadly too many of those forums have gone now and, with them, all those people that I considered friends, acquaintances or fellow forum-members, depending on my own perceptions of them as people.

At this moment I am only active on this forum as the others I was with seem to have either disappeared completely or the membership has declined to a level where there is no longer any real interest for me.

This forum has a good balance of people with sometimes wildly differing views to my own but that is just great as far as I am concerned because there's no way I'd ever think that my view is actually THE correct view.

There are some however that do appear to think precisely that but even so, it's fine by me as long as the rules on here are obeyed and we all remember to take a few deep breaths and think before we respond to what we think we have read.

I say that because I am guilty of over-reacting at times and have done so many times due to misreading or just plain misunderstanding the context of another person's argument.

Having said that I do use the Ignore facility and my reasons for that are my own and I will not elaborate on that as I think it is not good etiquette on forums; I've no doubt the mods would concur on that point!

All in all I like it here.

You all have your own ways of expressing yourself and for a bloke that's gradually going completely deaf it is just great because I can READ what you think so, thank you. stevmk2
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think members who respect each others opinions and good moderation. Also easy navigation of the site I have seen forums fail when they have too many sub forums or complicated posting systems.

As above, fairness and respect and it needs enough members to make for plenty of discussions but not too many where you feel a bit lost.
The only extra thing I would quite like is a Like button, to show that I share that persons opinion without having to put smilie faces or write another post. I have wanted to put Like so many times but then I realise I cant.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 05:47 PM

I think to make a good forum, members should respect each others opinions and make interesting subjects of interests for all people who would like to join in. I think that this site is a very good one towards other one's that I have been on.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
As above, fairness and respect and it needs enough members to make for plenty of discussions but not too many where you feel a bit lost.
The only extra thing I would quite like is a Like button, to show that I share that persons opinion without having to put smilie faces or write another post. I have wanted to put Like so many times but then I realise I cant.
I agree Anita, but we've had discussions about it here before and it doesn't seem to be that popular. In my experience it was used on another forum for cliques to "gang" up on posters. Whether they actually "liked" it or not. You ultimately knew the clique would press "like". I do know what you mean though. Just to press "like" would be nice sometimes
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

08-02-2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
A bit more bite woudnīt go amiss - this forumīs a bit fluffy...
I assume you mean that there are many nice, like minded people here, who don't always want to start a fight in an empty house? People certainly have their differing opinions here, but the secret is to state your opinion, even if it differs from anyone else, then move on. Don't hold grudges, because that makes for a nasty atmosphere. I agree that some people seem tougher than others here. Like any other forum. You simply get to know who they are, and to avoid them if necessary.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I agree Anita, but we've had discussions about it here before and it doesn't seem to be that popular. In my experience it was used on another forum for cliques to "gang" up on posters. Whether they actually "liked" it or not. You ultimately knew the clique would press "like". I do know what you mean though. Just to press "like" would be nice sometimes
Yes I've been there and seen that, but this forum is very well moderated and although it's laid back, and we are all adults, nastiness is not tolerated.
I was meaning when someone says something that makes a lot of sense or when someone just replies to something you say but there is nothing you want to add it's nice to have that option.
Not having it is not a major thing it would just be the icing on the cake, good forum this, I think.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top