Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Re: Is there intelligent life on OFF

Jemflux has hit it on the head. Sadly in my experience as well, some nasty things get said needlessly when 'debating' on forums.

Having said that, I'm always happy to join in a more serious discussion providing it is not obvious from the start a subject guaranteed to raise hackles.

Me, I'm waiting for the season to turn and the gardeners' stuff to start up again, its been very helpful in the past.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Is There Intelligent Life On OFF?

My response: Is There Intelligent Life?

I hear the Virgin Islands are a myth!!!!!
dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 08:27 PM

Hey Bob! You have the right of it for sure!!!!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 08:28 PM

I agree that things are sometimes less than serious, but it is better than having nothing or very little posted each day except the weather. That would be even more lightweight.

I join in with whatever takes my fancy - whether I think it has come from "intelligent life" or not - I don't really mind. When some serious topics have been posted, judging by the paucity of responses, I sometimes get the feeling that people do not want to talk seriously because the thread often shrivels and dies. I do not put up threads very often in case they are considered too serious or uninteresting and nobody replies. Like at a party - I don't want to sit on my own.

As long as we are not nasty and disparaging with each other (as I have noticed does happen sometimes) I think it is good to have a variety of things to go at when you log in You are never going to please all of the people all of the time and I don't think that is the object of this forum. We are all different and what invokes a response from me depends on my mood and the tone of the thread - I can do serious - if there is anything important enough to me warrant it.

The header/banner on the pages also says
"Welcome to the over 50's Forum - the On-line Hub for the Young at Heart"

Below is an extract taken from Azz's welcome page. (I hope you don't mind Azz)

Well, some of my favourite people fall into this age bracket, and so I wanted to create a site that not only acts as a social platform for people in your age group, but also one that encourages you to get to grips with the internet and technology in general. No question will be too silly - so don't ever be afraid to ask!

Purpose
To allow people in this age range to chat about pretty much anything, and get help and support from others on all manner of topics. It's meant to be a fun and friendly site where people can pick up a thing or two along the way. It will mainly focus around the forums, although we will probably post up some guides on topics that pop up frequently or ones that we think will be of particular benefit.

I know most of you will already be au fait with the internet and PCs, but we want to make this site receptive to those who are quite new to computers, so that they can come and learn about things, and of course make a few friends along the way!

Unlike most other forums that like to focus around 'discussion', we want to encourage people to chat (so long as it's relative to the thread topic) as we appreciate that for many people in this age range, this may be their main (or only) place to interact with other people... a bit like a pub or other social gathering place... but on the web

We'll also want to create mini-guides to help complete newbies, so if you would like to get involved in this, please do say! Let us know what kind of topic you will be willing to write about, and we'll take it from there.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to post them in the Forum Support section - we're eager to hear them!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 08:35 PM

Hey Guys - I added a debates section. This way all the debates can be kept in one place and people can avoid them if they wish yet they are still there for those who want them... this way we (should! lol) be keeping everyone happy
romfty
spain
romfty is male 

21-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Seen these sort of threads before on other forums......if it is not what you want, make it what you want!
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 02:05 AM

Is it not "intelligent" to be able to discern without confusion, and respond thereby accordingly as required?

At a unbiased guess I would imagine my "intelligence" is perhaps a degree or two below Einstein
and a degree or two above Mickey Mouse!

Personally, I love the mixture that is present in the one Section - General Chat. Then depending on mood or interest, can we not skip between those Threads relating to General Chat, deciding whether something is for light-hearted smile and laugh opportunity, or a more thought provoking or serious nature? Then take part accordingly.

However, I am also well able to adapt (what a useful characteristic) LOL. So look forward to seeing the Debate Subjects come on board.....

Rainbow

dragon
florida, usa
dragon is female  dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Me thinks Mickey would debate you on that Rainbow.
Hummm! Adapting to a debate has a lovely ring to it!
can we have a debate to debate the issue of having a debate section?
Or just leave that debate for a later date?
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 12:10 PM

How many would you need for a Debate? More than one would be tricky, as they might disagree with my thoughts or ideas, and easily take offence!!!

PS. Mickey may not be the brightest spark .... but he made a fortune!!!! LOL

Rainbow
dragon
florida, usa

22-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Walt had a wee bit to do with old Steamboat Willy.
can we debate this issue? Or leave the debate for a later date?
Me bog is calling!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top