Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:31 PM

Re: Covid: Rapid tests to be offered twice-weekly in England

My daughter has managed to get a couple of these free testing packs for her husband, who has been working full time right through the pandemic, and the other for my grandson who is at college. She wants to make sure they are free from the virus as she can't risk catching it as she will have many hospital appointments coming up and doesn't want to risk further worries.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My daughter has managed to get a couple of these free testing packs for her husband, who has been working full time right through the pandemic, and the other for my grandson who is at college. She wants to make sure they are free from the virus as she can't risk catching it as she will have many hospital appointments coming up and doesn't want to risk further worries.
Yes Mags, I think the tests are a brilliant idea...I hope your daughter and grandson stay safe and keep getting negative results...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:54 PM

Foxy, I hope everything goes well for your daughter on Friday, and she has speedy recovery.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Foxy, I hope everything goes well for your daughter on Friday, and she has speedy recovery.
I echo that too Bob, I hope all goes well for your daughter on Friday.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 09:38 AM

Thanks Mups and Mags, she's a tough little madam, just like her Dad.....Err...well not the madam bit....

She had an in depth covid test when I took her on Tuesday, also MRSA and some other tests. They rang her yesterday to say all the tests were negative and surgery will go ahead as planned tomorrow....I think I'm more worried than her....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 12:10 PM

Covid: 82% of positive rapid tests 'were correct'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56750460

Most positive rapid coronavirus tests taken since 8 March appear to have returned a correct result, according to data seen by the BBC. Analysis of data from Public Health England shows 82% sent off for a confirmatory PCR test returned the same positive result.

"This suggests that people who test positive using a lateral flow device should definitely take that result seriously, and isolate while waiting for a follow-up PCR test," said Prof Oliver Johnson, director of the institute for statistical science at the University of Bristol. "The fact that a high proportion of these rapid tests have been confirmed by the slower PCR method means that they can be a valuable tool in controlling the pandemic."

What the data does not show is how many people who received a negative test result did in fact have Covid-19.
New data show 26,144,449 lateral flow results were recorded by Public Health England in the four weeks from 8 March to 4 April. The vast majority - some 99.88% - were negative for coronavirus, leaving another 30,904 cases where a positive result was found. Just over half of those were sent off to a laboratory for a follow-up PCR test, which are far slower to process but can detect much lower levels of virus in the sample, although a positive result doesn't always mean someone is capable of passing the virus on to others.

Of those, 3,034 - or 18% - came back negative, suggesting the individual concerned and their household had been self-isolating for no reason. Under the current rules, a negative re-test would mean their quarantine period would be considered over immediately. But the other 13,918 - or 82% - returned the same positive result, indicating that the original test was accurate and they did have the virus.

"It may be that in future months the prevalence of Covid in the population will fall, in which case a greater proportion of positive lateral flow tests would be false positives," said Prof Johnson at the University of Bristol.
So ..... good news ..... and not so good news .....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top