Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Re: Yet another slap in the face for smokers

Originally Posted by hazel ->
Mind your halo doesn't strangle you, it might be that causing your cough.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
What an extremely self righteous attitude and I'll have you know I was a taxpayer too, not everyone sits on their a##s#s and gets fat, I walked my dogs 4 times daily and I spent the last 17 yrs cleaning (hardly a sedentry occupation) but the likes of you would turn up their nose without knowing a damned thing about it and say Oh she brought it on herself. I have had 1 wk in hospital after birth of baby, 1 wk after removal of ovarian cyst then nothing till I was 59 when I had a heart attack so I was not before and am not now a drain on the NHS. Mind your halo doesn't strangle you, it might be that causing your cough.
Well said Hazel.

Who is forcing you to be in close proximity to a leper? Sorry, Freudian slip - smoker?

If you don't like it, move away from the smoker!!

But what is the point explaining ourselves? Some people will not listen.

I'm about to light up a cigarette now, is that OK with you? I may be hundreds of miles away and in my own BOUGHT AND PAID FOR house but still, wouldn't want to offend you.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2012, 02:26 PM

I neither smoke or drink, neither am I overweight, but I have no problem really with people smoking, providing there are not numerous people all smoking at once in an enclosed space. I'm sure we all of us have habits that other people frown on. However re the cost to the NHS, well a couple of years ago I read a report on the NHS and it appeared that obesity related illness cost double the amount of smoking related illness.

Also I don't know whether any of you watched the TV series The Big Body Squad but that was a real eye opener. Thousands spent on adapting houses, even putting in heavy duty lifts, providing heavy duty beds, hoists and goodness knows what to ease the lives of some extremely grossly obese people who seemed to live on take-aways. The cost of adpating vehicles for specially made ambulances was gobsmacking. Then there was the team of people and all the special equipment to take these people to hospital for appointments. According to the programme most of the trips cost in excess of £200. Okay there were a couple of genuine problems re the obesity but the majority of cases shown was quite simply down to overeating. Should the NHS then refuse to treat people who are grossly obese because they eat too much?

I once endured, and I mean endured, a long haul flight where I was sat in the window seat and I had a grossly obese woman sat next to me. This woman literally overflowed into my little space and less than an hour into the flight she began sweating profusely, it was not pleasant. I asked if I could move to another seat which would then give the obese woman more space but was told there was no other seat available. Four hours later into the flight miraculously another seat was found, this was after I had been physically sick twice, and no I don't suffer from air sickness but the smell of sweat was making me very sick indeed, it really was overpowering. I was not the only one who asked to be moved either, the people in front and behind also asked to be moved, whether they were or not I don't know.
So yes, I would rather have been sat next to someone who smoked, but since you are not allowed to smoke on flights that problem didn't arise.

I also think the majority of smokers are polite enough to ask if you mind them smoking, at least in my experience. Time to leave the smokers alone and perhaps concentrate on the real criminals in society.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I also think the majority of smokers are polite enough to ask if you mind them smoking, at least in my experience. Time to leave the smokers alone and perhaps concentrate on the real criminals in society.
That is correct, everybody I know will ask before smoking around a non-smoker.

It is a simple matter of respect. As much as I'm a proud smoker I will not subject others to it if they do not wish.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 06:18 PM

Back to the OP I buy mine from Sainsburys and they are already behind closed doors. Have been for some time now. Just have to ask for them at the kiosk no real problem.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

17-12-2012, 06:54 PM

That's fine if you smoke something like Marlboro Reds for example which are everywhere, but if you smoke Lucky Strikes or Camels which some shops don't stock you wouldn't be able to just look and see.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 07:10 PM

I'm just back from Germany where you can still find the good old fashioned tobacconist shop with all the cigarettes, tobaccos etc.. on display. I usually buy some cigars and 'Christmas mix' pipe tobacco. The tobacconist was happily smoking a pipe in his shop.

On the same street, just a few doors away, was a gun shop! Now, which is the more dangerous?
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

17-12-2012, 07:19 PM

The tobacconist of course - because you only have to look at a cigarette and you drop dead - EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2012, 07:32 PM

I remember the old tobacconists well, an absolute emporium of delights and aromas, and a shrine to the myriad needs and desires of the smoker, but I fear the demise of the tobacconist was well in hand before the new smoking laws, precipitated mainly by the supermarkets, like so many other of the high street shops that have disappeared...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I'm just back from Germany where you can still find the good old fashioned tobacconist shop with all the cigarettes, tobaccos etc.. on display. I usually buy some cigars and 'Christmas mix' pipe tobacco. The tobacconist was happily smoking a pipe in his shop.

On the same street, just a few doors away, was a gun shop! Now, which is the more dangerous?
I hope you had a lovely break in Germany, George...

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top