Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Re: Bowel cancer screening

Sandy I am 74 and only had my first test It would be so bad but I have been in hospital about 6 times in the last 3 years, so why don't they make it routine.
My mate is 68 never had a test, and is now on his last legs with bowel cancer.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Hi again,
Sorry to hear about your friend. They only started it the other year as I was one of the first ones so thats maybe why your friend has been missed out. They havent got around to sending the 11 milion over 60's the test to do. If like my friends husband anyone is bleeding from the backend, no matter what age, you must go see your Doctor as my friends hubby did not but luckily was sent the test just in time. Unfortunately its missed your friend.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Hi Wrinkly, try not to worry. I know its easier said than done.
I have had the test twice already and due my third one next year.
Its done every two years for people over 60.
Hi Sandy I thought it was a one off test and didn't realise it was repeated . I have only had one so far. I am glad you mentioned this otherwise I might have read something more into my being asked again.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 10:37 AM

When they first started it my friend got an invitation when his wife was terminally ill with bowel cancer. She died shortly thereafter. Timing sucks.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 12:15 PM

I'm 62 and I've had 2 tests. The first one was just after my 60th, not long after I'd given blood. Panic! Rang number and they told me it was routine, phew!!!
Got second just after my birthday this year. I was a lot calmer with this one.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Sandy I thought it was a one off test and didn't realise it was repeated . I have only had one so far. I am glad you mentioned this otherwise I might have read something more into my being asked again.
Meg, I also thought it was a one off test .... I received mine a few years ago but nothing since. My husband has never received one I didn't know everyone over 60 was supposed to be offered the test though

I found this information re the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme .....

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/bowel/

You can also ring a number on there to request a screening kit if you are over 70.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Meg, I also thought it was a one off test .... I received mine a few years ago but nothing since. My husband has never received one I didn't know everyone over 60 was supposed to be offered the test though

I found this information re the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme .....

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/bowel/

You can also ring a number on there to request a screening kit if you are over 70.
Hi Mags it doesn't seem to mention further tests not that I am eager to repeat the experience any time soon
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Oh yes once seen never forgotten.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 01:25 PM

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/bo...screening.html
Link has details
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Mags it doesn't seem to mention further tests not that I am eager to repeat the experience any time soon
I couldn't find any info of further testing after the initial test either Meg ....... like you, I'm in no hurry!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top