Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 11:34 AM

Re: New Glasses.

Question.
If you buy specs online, where do you go to have them properly fitted?
I would not even consider touching them.
I have been in optics for over 40 years. I would never buy specs online.
Bare in mind that the high street retailers need the profit from sales to continue to be able to offer the service they provide.
Part of the cost is to cover the huge cost of equipment needed for testing etc. Also the salaries of the optoms need to be covered.
Without the retail sales, the cost of sight tests would have to increase by a significant amount.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Question.
If you buy specs online, where do you go to have them properly fitted?
I would not even consider touching them.
I have been in optics for over 40 years. I would never buy specs online.
Bare in mind that the high street retailers need the profit from sales to continue to be able to offer the service they provide.
Part of the cost is to cover the huge cost of equipment needed for testing etc. Also the salaries of the optoms need to be covered.
Without the retail sales, the cost of sight tests would have to increase by a significant amount.
Agreed.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Big deal! I have been able to drive since I was 12. I have been on the road since I was 17, I have never had an accident, speeding ticket or parking ticket. I have told my children that they must inform me if they feel I am not safe to drive anymore and I will give up immediately My eye tests have proved my eyesight is fine for driving.
That doesn't mean much really you know if you have not had any official competence test recently. How do you actually know you are fit to drive or not? How many miles do you do a year and what sort of driving do you do? Do you drive in cities and on motorways regularly?
I also find your post to Swimfeeders offensive. You should learn some manners - your posts are very rude on occasions.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
That doesn't mean much really you know if you have not had any official competence test recently. How do you actually know you are fit to drive or not? How many miles do you do a year and what sort of driving do you do? Do you drive in cities and on motorways regularly?
I also find your post to Swimfeeders offensive. You should learn some manners - your posts are very rude on occasions.
I have no problem saying what I think, just as other posters tell me what they think.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 12:27 PM

The Met police requires eyesight of
At least 6/9 in one eye and at least 6/12 in the other. ( corrected)
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 12:51 PM

I would never buy spectacles on-line, they often need slight adjustments to the frame, which only an optician can do.
Never ever had any problems with buying specs on line.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 12:56 PM

I think you should test a driving test to see if you are fit to drive, your eyes sound very dodgy to me, and if you find that offensive, TOUGH.
tarantula your a nasty piece of work aren't you, you just do not care who you upset on here. I cannot understand why the Mods aren't doing their job and throw you out. Your always nasty to other members and it should not be allowed.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

31-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
tarantula your a nasty piece of work aren't you, you just do not care who you upset on here. I cannot understand why the Mods aren't doing their job and throw you out. Your always nasty to other members and it should not be allowed.
No nastier than anyone else.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 01:55 PM

Hi

When you buy varifocals online the suppliers, at least the one I used, send you a measure with very specific instructions on how to position it and take photos of it in place.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 02:32 PM

I could not get on with varifocal glasses either, so have one for distance and another for reading. The peripheral vision was what cane up on my hospital eye test. Now for me that seems a bit strange as I have not noticed any difference for many years. So I am wondering if it has been the same for
ever?
Once over 70 yrs of age if you want to drive say a 15+ seater vehicle you now have to take a driving test. Now that seems a bit odd to me as there is nothing stopping me driving a vehicle of the same size without that number of seats in it.

My original red driving book says I am allowed to drive a petrol lawn mower on the public highway, don't suppose that is included for those taking the driving test for the first time and passing now.

tarantula

One reason why the DVLA insist you take an eye sight test is to prove your eyesight is good enough to allow you to drive.

When I applied to get my licence back i had to go to a DVLA approved eye sight test place ie Specsavers who have approved eye field test equipment.
If you have never done it they give you 3 chances to see the dots come up randomly on the screen. fail that after 3 times and no licence. On top of that they also do the reduced size letter test which you also have to pass.

about these field test machines. Up to about 3 years ago they discovered that the calibration was wrong regarding the dot size and many failed this and lost their licence.
Since then the DVLA have insisted that the new machines are calibrated regularly now.

If you have like me been driving since he age of 17 and suddenly told you can't drive any more it is one of the worst things imaginable. Going for the DVLA eye test is nerve wracking as you know that failure means never driving again, passing allows another 3 years of holding a licence.

To say that after having done and passed the test like swimfeeder has done, to say he should not be driving is I think very insulting to his capabilities.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top