Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Re: Costly Christmas

When I was a young married with very little money I admit to going into debt to give my children nice Christmas presents.
Of course - no credit cards in those days - They all came out of a mail order catalogue and it took me months afterwards to pay it off but I didn't regret it.

Who's never bought from a catalogue when times were hard?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
When I was a young married with very little money I admit to going into debt to give my children nice Christmas presents.
Of course - no credit cards in those days - They all came out of a mail order catalogue and it took me months afterwards to pay it off but I didn't regret it.

I've never bought from a catalogue, I could never afford to when I was younger, so I had to do without.... so nothing changed for me I always did without
yani
yani is female 

30-12-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Just heard on the radio that parents /relations have spent even more on presents for the little knee biters using credit cards some getting in thousands of pounds in debt. All i can say is good luck to the idiots apparently they are still paying off the debt the following Christmas and longer. No way would i get in debt for Christmas the kids would get what i could afford or go without and if they did not like it then they could go without.
But some people even get in debt over holidays how ridiculous!! Imagine having a holiday and paying for it over the next 5 or more years what a joke.☺
I spent almost nothing on Christmas because I do surveys online and pay for it that way by making Amazon gift cards. it saves us so much money every year.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I've never bought from a catalogue, I could never afford to when I was younger, so I had to do without.... so nothing changed for me I always did without
Did you let your children do without?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I confess we have carol when it means difference to having what they need or not we have done it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 06:53 AM

We have bought items using hire purchase. Also bought from mail order catalogues. If we had waited until we had enough money to buy items outright, we would have always been digging into the savings pot for one reason or another. Take on the commitment of monthly payments and they had to be stuck to. This way, we got items that we wouldn't have had otherwise. None of the debt was unaffordable, it just had to be budgeted for. We never took out a loan for holidays or Christmas though. It was more for household items or clothing (mail order).

Regarding hire purchase, as I remember, one third of the price had to be paid up front in cash. This credit control at least proved you had some money, were responsible enough and probably in employment. This is much the same principle as the debt that most people find normal and acceptable. This being the mortgage of course. I reckon this measure should be brought back into buying lesser items. It could help to prevent people getting into unaffordable debt.

These days it isn't necessary for us to buy on tick and we own our house. We use the credit card all the time because it is convenient to do so but pay off the full amount each month. Often use a debit card too. However, I do remember how it was to budget for a few monthly debt repayments (including a mortgage), so I don't frown on it too much.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top