Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 06:28 AM

Re: This is pretty low

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
That's the sort of urban myth story I first heard decades ago
Agreed, Zulu. I have difficulties believing any thief would shell out the price of two very expensive theatre tickets on the "off chance" the victims would fall for it. I think you're right.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Hi

One thing that there is a problem with is repeat thefts.

If the burglars get a good haul from a house, they revisit it 3 months later when all the goods have been replaced by the insurance and take them again.

Where I used to live there was a string of burglaries, it turned out that they were all linked to a roofing company,

One of the employees was using it to "case" the properties.

If the property had enough valuable inside and an alarm system, he would disable the alarm bell when he was up the ladders and return to the property some months later.

He went by the name of Cock Eyed Blent, quite a local character.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
Agreed, Zulu. I have difficulties believing any thief would shell out the price of two very expensive theatre tickets on the "off chance" the victims would fall for it. I think you're right.
Well, in this case, it happened. The man this happened to actually called the radio station to tell his story so other people wouldn't fall for it.

And how do we know the thieves paid for the tickets? The tickets could have been given to them and they saw it as an opportunity to pull this prank. If you've got someone that you know has a house full of expensive electronic equipment or have perhaps noticed his wife wearing expensive jewelry or perhaps there was word on the street about "all the cool stuff" Mr. So & So has inside his house... which would be more valuable? The electronics and the jewelry, which could rake in thousands of dollars if sold? Or a couple of tickets to a play?

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Well, in this case, it happened. The man this happened to actually called the radio station to tell his story so other people wouldn't fall for it.

And how do we know the thieves paid for the tickets? The tickets could have been given to them and they saw it as an opportunity to pull this prank. If you've got someone that you know has a house full of expensive electronic equipment or have perhaps noticed his wife wearing expensive jewelry or perhaps there was word on the street about "all the cool stuff" Mr. So & So has inside his house... which would be more valuable? The electronics and the jewelry, which could rake in thousands of dollars if sold? Or a couple of tickets to a play?

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.
I agree Linda, or maybe the tickets were stolen from another recent burglary. I am not sure I would think about theatre tickets when listing possessions from a house burglary.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 03:22 PM

I might have smelt a rat with this story. What strikes me as odd is that the 'father' remained anonymous. If a parent is responsible enough to make his 'son' return the stolen item then I would have thought he would go with his son to face the victims and apologise. Urban myth or not, once people have heard about it some will try it on...
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree Linda, or maybe the tickets were stolen from another recent burglary. I am not sure I would think about theatre tickets when listing possessions from a house burglary.
That's true as well, the tickets may have been stolen.

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I might have smelt a rat with this story. What strikes me as odd is that the 'father' remained anonymous. If a parent is responsible enough to make his 'son' return the stolen item then I would have thought he would go with his son to face the victims and apologise. Urban myth or not, once people have heard about it some will try it on...
I would do the same thing. If I would find out my son stole something from someone, I would go to that person, with my son in trail, and make him do the apologizing.
Linda0818
USA

17-03-2016, 03:37 PM

And here's a lovely email I just got today. Should I do it?

Kidding.

My Dear Friend,

Greeting to you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, Let me first of all inform
you, I got your email address from a mail Directory and decided to mail you for
a permission to go ahead. I am Mrs. Joann Gates. from United Kingdom, married to
Dr. James R. Gates who worked with Texaco Oil Company in Nigeria before he died
in a ghastly motor accident on his way to a Board meeting. My Husband and me
were married but without any children. Since his death I decided not to re-marry
and presently I am 69 Years old. When my late husband was Alive he deposited the
sum of $18.5M. (Eighteen Million Five Hundred Thousand
U.S. Dollars) with a Bank.

Presently this money is still with the Bank and the management just Wrote me as
the beneficiary to come forward to receive the money or rather Issue a letter of
authority to somebody to receive it on my behalf. I am presently in a hospital
where I have been undergoing treatment Cancer of the lungs. I have since lost my
ability to talk and my doctors have told me that I have only a few months to
live so I think the best thing to do is to use the money for charity purposes. I
want a person who is trustworthy that I will make the beneficiary of my late
Husband's Fund deposited with the bank so that the person can get the money and
utilize 70% of this money to fund churches, orphanages and widows around the
world.

At the moment I cannot take any telephone calls right now due to the fact that
my relatives (They had squandered the funds I gave them for this purpose before
are around me I have been helping orphans orphanage/motherless homes. I have
also donated some money for humanitarian needs in Sudan , South Africa , Brazil
, Spain , Austria,Germany and some Asian countries.

I have been touched to the good work of humanity through you, rather than allow
my relatives to use my husband's hard earned funds inappropriately.I know i have
never met you but my mind tells me to do this, and I hope you act sincerely.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact details of the
Bank. I will also issue you a letter of authority that will prove you as the new
beneficiary of this fund.Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I
stated here in and Keep this contact confidential till such a time this funds
get to your Custody. This is to ensure that nothing jeopardizes my last wish on
Earth.

May the good lord bless you -Amen,I await your urgent reply.

Regards,

Mrs. Joan Gates

And naturally, she can't take any phone calls

However, there are people out there who still fall for this sort of thing. Just like there are still people who click on links in strange emails.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top