Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Re: Red wine.

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Haha! Yes! I'm amused you've been puzzled! It's a photo I took earlier this year of my new earrings my daughter gave me, my other daughter in Australia wanted to see what they looked like, not very clear, just thought it was a bit of fun I suppose you'd call it a wonky selfie
It's very nice indeed and if you will excuse me for saying....also very sexy
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I just have never been impressed with them, I consider them to be very much overrated.... Chiantis and Rioja's in particular.
I always thought Chianti is an Italian wine. My daughter's partner, who does know a bit about wine, always goes for French wine.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I always thought Chianti is an Italian wine. My daughter's partner, who does know a bit about wine, always goes for French wine.
Yes indeed Alan Chianti is Italian .. A mental aberration of the type which is becoming more common the older I get.
My apologies to all
uncle salty
eastern united states
uncle salty is male  uncle salty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 05:36 PM

I've never understood how people can enjoy wine.

It's grape juice that's fermented and gone sour.

Same thing as sushi. It's raw fish. You're eating bait. Ugh.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 08:04 PM

There is wine and there is wine. One's definition of that term depends on one's level of education concerning wines and your level of exposure to wines.

I have an uncle who for most of his life has never ever understood wine. He has often recommended "wines" to me which are no more than what could fairly be deemed "plonk" i.e. basic supermarket high volume nonsense that lives off a label and which really has no depth or complexity. Things like Blossom Hill and Rosemount and so on.

I'm not in any sense of the word a wine snob. I have simply learned the kinds of wines that are good and that I personally like, and I've learned something of the specific grape types that contribute to each wine.

I note that poster Malcolm said to steer away from Spanish wines at all cost, and yet Spain produces one of the finest and loveliest ranges of white wines to be found. They are all from the region called Rias Baixas and they are all types called "albarino". They are all very drinkable, crisp and enjoyable. It is very rare that you will find such a wine in a supermarket though this week I noticed Sainsbury's has just one type on its shelves for the moment so I have bought a couple. Otherwise, I rarely buy any supermarket wine as it is pretty much cheap plonk to maximise their profits.

I recommend people visit this web site:

http://www.thewinesociety.com/about-the-society

This is NOT one of those "wine clubs" where you become a member and have to buy X number of bottles per month. This is different. This is a company with acclaimed wine buyers who every year seek out the best wines from real producers even small ones and who then compile a list of the best wines ranging from cheap to expensive on their website. It is a "non-profit" co-operative organisation where all profits get pumped back into the business.

There are some fantastic wines here at very good prices.

For example their White Burgundy is just one of the best wines I've had the pleasure of drinking and have done so for many years

http://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/p...&prl=&cc=BRAND

£8.75 a bottle but a really really top wine.

If I were hosting a party then a crate of this would be a definite.

Lots of good reds of course too.

If you're not a red drinker but you want something for your party guests then go for specific types.

Pinot Noir's are very drinkable and generally very good

Sangiovese's are light and fruity and good for a party

Consider also Rose wines for parties.

A good Zinfandel rose is fruity and zingy and great fun.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
A friend of mine went to a 'wine tasting' and was told by the 'expert' who was conducting the wine tasting that feeling for the indent was a sure way to tell a good wine!

Something to do with sediments I think - that's all I know...
Yes, I've also heard this but since I don't like red wine I don't know how true it is. I do buy it at Christmas for presents and usually get something fruity and not too heavy from M&S for around £7 0r £8.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 11:43 PM

Bottle indents . . .

http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/46387

That indentation is called a punt, and it’s a good thing that football season is over, or I would be trying to make a joke about the name. Historically, punts were a function of wine bottles being made by glassblowers. The seam was pushed up to make sure the bottle could stand upright and there wasn’t a sharp point of glass on the bottom. It’s also thought that the punt added to the bottle’s structural integrity.

Bottles nowadays are much stronger and machine-made, so the punt is simply part of wine-bottle tradition, though some say it helps collect the sediment as wines age. Punts no longer serve a structural function except in bottles of sparkling wine, which have constant pressure inside. In these cases, the punt allows for more even distribution of pressure.

The size of the punt doesn’t mean anything about the quality of the wine inside, but it can be a bit gimmicky, because some bottles just look like they’re on steroids, with deep punts and extra-heavy glass.
uncle salty
eastern united states
uncle salty is male  uncle salty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 01:57 AM

I'll be the first to admit, I never tried to educate myself about wine.

I never saw any point to furthering my knowledge.

I've tried it. It was awful.

That's all the education I've ever needed.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 02:33 AM

I found an ad once online for Cabinet Sauvignon (sic).
Couldn't help myself emailing the business and asked them the type of cabinet and how many drawers it has. They actually replied, saying cabinets don't have drawers.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I found an ad once online for Cabinet Sauvignon (sic).
Couldn't help myself emailing the business and asked them the type of cabinet and how many drawers it has. They actually replied, saying cabinets don't have drawers.
Lol.. Took it well, didn't they? - a touch of humour, nice..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top