Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 04:11 PM

Re: Windows Update buggered up computer

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Should look something like this:
No, I'm afraid I don't get that page.
Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Windows Update gives these:

Nothing like yours. Which version of W10 are you running?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Panel.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows Update.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1436  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
How to Repair Google Chrome

http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Google-Chrome

Since Google has preciously caused me problems with unannounced changes, I would try some or all of the above.
Thanks Omah, but Chrome is now working perfectly since I removed the recent Windows Updates. A coincidence, perhaps, but I suspect the updates. Anyway, should the problem re-occur I'll have a look at your suggestions. As I said, though, I shall not be installing any more Windows Updates until I know that they can be trusted! It's not just me, either: I know that others have had problems.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 04:16 PM

I'm running W10 including all current updates....no problems at all.
I consider it to be the best OS ever produced by Microsoft.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I had an initial problem that appears to have been caused by a third-party AV programme which Windows didn't seem to like and which I uninstalled, and now this Windows Update problem causing the internet to become inaccessible.
Avast product compatibility with Windows 10 - FAQs

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB231

Avast product compatibility with Windows 10 has the following known issues and workarounds:
»How can I fix Avast Firewall if it stops working after a Windows 10 upgrade?
»How can I fix Avast Antivirus if it stops working after a Windows 10 upgrade?
»How can I fix Avast SecureLine if it stops working after a Windows 10 upgrade?
AFAIK, the latest Windows Update has not caused the internet to become inaccessible.

I'm not having any problems and there doesn't seem to be any recent reporting on Windows 10 internet access issues.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-07-2016, 04:29 PM

Avast product compatibility with Windows 10 - FAQs

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB231

AFAIK, the latest Windows Update has not caused the internet to become inaccessible.

I'm not having any problems and there doesn't seem to be any recent reporting on Windows 10 internet access issues.
Thanks again, Omah.

I have bookmarked a download page for this new version of Avast, and I'll see what happens if I download and install it. To be honest, although I haven't had any attacks (that I know of) since relying solely on Windows Defender, I always found Avast to be good in the past and would prefer it if it causes no problems.

I suppose this is an example of third-party software producers being obliged to change their programmes to account for W10, rather than the other way around.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 04:33 PM

I have all current W.10 updates and have no problems with opening or running Chrome. I never say never though, so perhaps the Windows Updates upset some computers but not others. I wonder if just a re-set of Chrome would have worked (Settings > Show advanced settings > Reset settings). There would have been some setting up of Chrome needed after the reset but perhaps not too much to do.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 04:36 PM

I have just updated to the latest version of Chrome (Version 52.0.2743.82 m) with no problems so far.

The Chrome team is delighted to announce the promotion of Chrome 52 to the stable channel for Windows, Mac and Linux. Chrome 52.0.2743.82 contains a number of fixes and improvements -- a list of changes is available in the log.

This update includes 48 security fixes.
Frankly, I'd update Chrome and give Windows 10 Update another chance .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-07-2016, 04:50 PM

I have just updated to the latest version of Chrome (Version 52.0.2743.82 m) with no problems so far.

Frankly, I'd update Chrome and give Windows 10 Update another chance .....
Right. I've just done an update and now seem to have that version.
I'll also install the next set of Windows Updates when they tell me to!

Never let it be said that I'm a dinosaur!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No, I'm afraid I don't get that page.
Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Windows Update gives these:

Nothing like yours. Which version of W10 are you running?
Sorry JBR, I'm on Win7 - looks like updates are compulsory on your system but not having access to a Win10 machine can't confirm that. Perhaps other Win10 users on here can.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 09:28 PM

Lols JBR

You couldn't leave well enough alone !

I seem to remember on other W10 threads you saying you had no pressing reason to upgrade, so one wonders why you did it.

I would think it will prove tricky to get back to how your machine was now that W10 has got its claws into it but I guess we will see.

In terms of disabling updates, my recommendation to you would be to set them to NEVER update period.

If you go for the "download and let me decide" option it will just bite you. How the heck are you going to know what's in any given update? Truth is you will never know.

Do you think the millions of people who got caught with the specific KB update that caused all the W10 woes, knew what was in that update? No of course not. They just put their faith and trust in MS, not knowing any better and now many of them have had W10 upgrade nightmares, being forced through the update or having to endure endless pop up messages and other pressures.

Don't kid yourself. If MS have already slipped a sly update in of that magnitude then there is no reason to expect they won't slip another in. So the only sensible approach for anyone not wanting to upgrade is to totally disable windows updates.

I have never had one single update since I bought my laptops many years ago. I have never suffered from not having security updates or any other update. My machines have been stable and trouble free.

I don't consider myself to be a dinosaur in refusing to go to W10 at this juncture. I consider it prudent and sensible, but of course, each to their own.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top