Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Re: The human race ...

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
There are a few of us from another planet...and a few still on one

A few years ago shortly after I moved in with my girlfriend we were asked to a party. Upon arrival the slightly tipsy host asked me, " Can I get you a drink Alien".
My name is Alain. Girlfriend fell apart laughing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 09:24 PM

Stephen Hawking has a knack of 'stating the bleeding obvious' ......
The human race will, I believe, level itself out. Realist has already highlighted solutions which, when you think about it, are already being enlisted by the most wealthy in this world. If you place temptation in front of the average person they will most probably take it. I refer mainly to food. When you consider the amount of obese people in the world today I would suggest that they have already succumbed to that temptation.

An obese person is less likely to live as long as a normal sized person. They are also less likely to be fertile, and chances are, they will have diabetes.
No need to cull the population, we are doing it all by ourselves.....

I also agree with Realists suggestion that being gay is positively encouraged...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 09:41 PM

Vega, I see you come from Europe, do you think this could become, "The final Countdown".
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 09:45 PM

Don't think the initial article is correct. 30 years ain't no time at all, and I'm pretty sure Stephen Hawking never mentioned such a figure (link doesn't load). Gonna take a heck of a lot longer to create a craft capable of travelling to a planet worth considering. Just chucking a few people up on the moon ain't gonna cut it. You are looking at a combined effort by the major governments of the world, and we are far from having that kind of co-operation. Also the technology is far from complete, such as cryogenic sleep, which is necessary to transport a human being the necessary distance to a suitable planet.

30 years is nothing at all, and the way the world is today there will not be much thought given to space travel in the near future. We are heading for global conflict at an accelerated pace. Too late to calm things down now. One way or another wars (or the threat of them) are going to take precedence over all else.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Don't think the initial article is correct. 30 years ain't no time at all, and I'm pretty sure Stephen Hawking never mentioned such a figure (link doesn't load). Gonna take a heck of a lot longer to create a craft capable of travelling to a planet worth considering. Just chucking a few people up on the moon ain't gonna cut it. You are looking at a combined effort by the major governments of the world, and we are far from having that kind of co-operation. Also the technology is far from complete, such as cryogenic sleep, which is necessary to transport a human being the necessary distance to a suitable planet.

30 years is nothing at all, and the way the world is today there will not be much thought given to space travel in the near future. We are heading for global conflict at an accelerated pace. Too late to calm things down now. One way or another wars (or the threat of them) are going to take precedence over all else.
Have you not watched the movie called 'Passengers' Mark.....?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Have you not watched the movie called 'Passengers' Mark.....?
Don't think I have. Worth watching?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 09:56 PM

Life is probably most important, in all of this stuff, especially one's own life, but, if you mixed with folks who had no concept of the self, then alien stuff holds no terror, as does global conflict.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-06-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Don't think I have. Worth watching?
Very good movie Mark. Mrs Fox doesn't like science fiction and I had to bribe her to come with me.....I had to go and see 'La La Land' with her......But she had to admit Passengers was a very good story without seeming too far fetched. It deals with all the points you address in your recent post about space travel.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 12:01 AM

I think wherever we might go one day, we will spoil it eventually.

What if this all this has happened many times before?
What if we have not always lived on Planet Earth, but we wrecked our previous 'home,' and this is history repeating itself?

Hard to imagine perhaps, but I sometimes think about the "what if's?"

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
There is, of course, another alternative.

We could stop this out-of-control breeding. It is quite simple. China did it successfully.
No they didn't, JBR. They had orphanages filled with babies and baby hatches at the sides of roads and tracks for mothers to dump their babies into.
The population didn't decline much, just the state took the unwanted babies instead. Trouble is we don't know what happened to ALL these babies

Now the Chinese are moving into Africa and feeding off their resources.
Being a firm believer in natural disasters to sort things out, I'm quite convinced disease will be the demise of millions eventually and in the not too distant future. The more dense population there is the more likely hood. Something will rise that there is no cure for. History tends to repeat itself .
As there is no one to dominate other countries and their behavioural patterns, and the fact that one country will not agree to reducing their own population lower than another country, for fear of 'e.g. attack or dominance by another, it's probably a stale mate situation.
Maybe this the whole idea of a World Government , complete control ....trouble being, who would be the 'Big Fat Controller '??
Hawkins has come up with a daft statement. I doubt anyone with less than a few million dollars would stand the chance of hopping on the next flight to Mars. They haven't even started digging yet ,let alone laid the foundation stone. Crackpots !

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top