Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 09:57 AM

Re: Alexa et al

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I use an Alexa and find it pretty useful. It's on my bedside cabinet and I use it for alarms, event reminders, timers for when I have something cooking, playing music (or ambient noise at night when I can't sleep), shopping lists and playing radio channels when I wake up.

I got a couple for my mother, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, because I worry she will have a fall and be unable to reach her mobile phone. She can ask the device to call someone from her mobile phone contact list and have a conversation that way in an emergency. They only cost £20 each at the time and if I'd had two voice alert systems from the local Council I'd be paying around £30 a month for each of them.
That's a really good idea, Tachyon! I did read that a lot of people with memory problems use alexa for medication reminders, or where they put certain things like keys etc, so this is really putting it good use. And as you say - a lot cheaper than paying the council! It probably gives you peace of mind too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 09:59 AM

I have an echo dot and just use it for music. I get music free so I'm guessing that's because I am signed up to Amazon Prime? I'm not interested in connecting it to light switches or automatic toilet seats or anything, that's just lazy 😉 Privacy doesn't bother me either. If China wants to tune in, listening to me blaming them for a World pandemic, then so be it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I don't believe that at all! My alexa is as thick as mince so I doubt they will learn anything from me apart from how to be sarcastic!
Exactly this!
When the darned thing can't make out what you've deliberately and carefully said to it, there's just no way could it ever be an effective spying mechanism.
None.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I use an Alexa and find it pretty useful. It's on my bedside cabinet and I use it for alarms, event reminders, timers for when I have something cooking, playing music (or ambient noise at night when I can't sleep), shopping lists and playing radio channels when I wake up.

I got a couple for my mother, one for upstairs and one for downstairs, because I worry she will have a fall and be unable to reach her mobile phone. She can ask the device to call someone from her mobile phone contact list and have a conversation that way in an emergency. They only cost £20 each at the time and if I'd had two voice alert systems from the local Council I'd be paying around £30 a month for each of them.
Yes, All of mine were gifts and I use use them as you do.

I have tested mine, with a simulated fall down, and shouted for it to get help. Set up correctly, it does call a list of helpers.You can talk to them whilst lying there with a broken leg!

Better than wearing one of those (expensive) necklace things.

Also, not bad when watching quiz programs as you can get the answers (but everyone hears you doing it).
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Also, not bad when watching quiz programs as you can get the answers (but everyone hears you doing it).
Not if you switch on Whisper mode If you activate that in settings, then whisper to alexa, it whispers back. Very spooky!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, I know what's coming next.

You're going to get one now, aren't you?
Err Nope, not for me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Err Nope, not for me.
Oh, you don't know what you're missing.

I don't mean just the farting game. Read back, because there are some examples of how Alexa can be a real life saver in an emergency.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Exactly this!
When the darned thing can't make out what you've deliberately and carefully said to it, there's just no way could it ever be an effective spying mechanism.
None.
That's why I would never waste my money Zaphod. There is no way it would be able to decipher my accent.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

05-02-2021, 09:43 PM

Just out of interest, I said to alexa that I was bored.

She offered up a Fart Rap to amuse me.

It was actually quite good. Not to be repeated though
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Just out of interest, I said to alexa that I was bored.

She offered up a Fart Rap to amuse me.

It was actually quite good. Not to be repeated though
A piece of electronic equipment with a sense of humour!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top