Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 11:11 AM

Re: Cartophile

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Wouldn't it be great if you could look at an old map, touch a place and be transported back to the past, and be able to walk around there unobserved.....
Wouldn't that be grand? We were taught basic map reading at grammar School - part of the Geography lessons. Then I joined an Orienteering group - that was fun - we would be bused out to the middle of nowhere - issued with a map and compass - and have to find our way back!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 11:11 AM

We visited the Vatican during a cruise a while back, and there were very accurate maps on the walls that could only have been plotted from the air.....Back in the 13th century....
I suppose they used drones....
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Wouldn't that be grand? We were taught basic map reading at grammar School - part of the Geography lessons. Then I joined an Orienteering group - that was fun - we would be bused out to the middle of nowhere - issued with a map and compass - and have to find our way back!
We were taught basic map reading as well when I did Geography at Grammar school.

Church with/without spire, windmill with/without sails, bridge over/under, contour lines and height. I found it all very fascinating.

I like old maps showing boundaries and disused canals or railway lines and locations of long disappeared buildings etcetera.

I recently looked at a map of the village where I grew up. My friends and I used to walk down a lane over two streams that we called First Beck and Second Beck to get to our "playground"; a field full of old WW2 airfield buildings.

To my surprise, the map showed it as being the same stream, called Buck Beck, that curved round in a U shape. None of us knew that at the time.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That's brilliant Tabby.....
When I was learning to read a map I had to stand in a great big field and drop a fifty pence piece into the grass. Using the compass I had to walk one hundred paces due East, I then had to walk one hundred paces due south, then West, and finally North. You should arrive back where you had dropped your fifty pence piece. I was skint a lot in those days, until I got the hang of it....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 11:58 AM

Fifty Pence Foxy, Half Crown more like.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-03-2021, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Fifty Pence Foxy, Half Crown more like.
What are you trying to say Spitty.....
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

31-03-2021, 08:28 PM

Never liked all this decimalisation - whatever next 100 degrees in a right angle?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-03-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tubby ->
Never liked all this decimalisation - whatever next 100 degrees in a right angle?
I didn't like them changing the live red wire to Brown in mains wiring either Tubby.....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
This might help, or for old Manchester in general -

www.manchester-forum.co.uk

and Search YouTube for 'Martin Zero Manchester'
He has made lots of videos about old Manchester and its waterways, canals, and rivers
You're an absolute star. Thanks zuludog!!!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I didn't like them changing the live red wire to Brown in mains wiring either Tubby.....
Brown is just a desaturated red, changing black to blue was a much bigger change.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top