Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 06:49 PM

Re: Ready for planting out?

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I grew Alicante years ago and seem to remember they were nice.
Yes I found they had a good flavour too I used to buy a couple of plants from the WI Friday market and planted them outside. I may do that this year if I can buy some.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Shaz, I'm jealous..I wish I had more beds to plant in but hubby won't hear of the lawn being demolished (yet)

For the frost dates, in case anyone is interested, I went to
www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather You just enter your town name.[/QUOTE]

Janela
I have not dug up the garden

Have a plot on an allotment. Dug the beds, ready for planting. Do seeding in the shed in the back garden. After a while I take them to allotment, to be put in the greenhouse, ready to be planted out.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 06:31 PM

Got the runner beans in on that sunny day we had a couple of weeks ago! But to be honest they haven't got any bigger and are surrounded with slug pellets
The alicante toms are about 4" high, they've all caught up with each other.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Got the runner beans in on that sunny day we had a couple of weeks ago! But to be honest they haven't got any bigger and are surrounded with slug pellets
The alicante toms are about 4" high, they've all caught up with each other.
Hi Janela my runner beans are a ft high doing great in their disposable mugs ..

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=8460
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 08:23 PM

With all the frost we have had lately. Some people on the allotment have lost potatoes to the frost. My strawberry's are not that good this year. Hopefully we have seen the last of the frost now. So will be able to start planting out my seedlings.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Like the idea of the disposable mugs Meg

Shame about the potatoes shaz and I'm pleased to say my strawberries are looking good and flowering well.

Some of my garlic is turning yellow already!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2012, 06:40 PM

It's been a struggle getting things started this Spring, one of the worst that I can remember (although we tend to forget the awful ones don't we). My strawberries though are looking really good and flowering well, I have managed to nurse my runner beans along and will plant them out this weekend and the salad crops seem to be OK, but just slow and needing a little more warmth to thrive.

My biggest disappointment I think is the total failure of the Victoria plums to set fruit. The blossom was very early, brought on by the March sunshine, but then completely destroyed by a couple of overnight frosts. Of three small trees there will not be a single fruit this year, a real disappointment after harvesting around 10 to 12lb from each tree last autumn...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
It's been a struggle getting things started this Spring, one of the worst that I can remember (although we tend to forget the awful ones don't we). My strawberries though are looking really good and flowering well, I have managed to nurse my runner beans along and will plant them out this weekend and the salad crops seem to be OK, but just slow and needing a little more warmth to thrive.

My biggest disappointment I think is the total failure of the Victoria plums to set fruit. The blossom was very early, brought on by the March sunshine, but then completely destroyed by a couple of overnight frosts. Of three small trees there will not be a single fruit this year, a real disappointment after harvesting around 10 to 12lb from each tree last autumn...
What a shame about the plum trees, Barry ...... to me Victoria plums are the best - no other plum can match it for taste.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

12-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Having a bad memory, I thought it was just me thinking this spring was a bad one Barry
Shame about the plums, my new greengage didn't flower but the new cherry had one flower

My gooseberries and blackcurrant are covered in whitefly
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Having a bad memory, I thought it was just me thinking this spring was a bad one Barry
Shame about the plums, my new greengage didn't flower but the new cherry had one flower

My gooseberries and blackcurrant are covered in whitefly
My new cherry tree also had just the one flower on it, Janela ....... right at the bottom!

It has been such a nice warm day here that I took the plunge and hung my two hanging baskets ....... please don't let there be anymore frosts!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top