Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 10:22 AM

Re: Teachers

One of the main differences between education in the 50's and 60's and today is that many teachers today seem so one-dimensional. Most of my teachers had been involved in WW1/WW2 in some capacity and had gravitated towards teaching after demob. My chemistry teacher had been a christian missionary in China during the Japanese invasion and had barely escaped with his life after being blown up when the village he was working in was shelled by the Japanese. One of my English teachers had been a conscientious objector (he was a Quaker) during WW1 and had joined the Canadian Army as an ambulance driver in France. He was eventually captured by the Germans and imprisoned (along with the great American poet e.e.cummings who wrote about the experience in his book "The Enormous Room"). A geography teacher had been a spy during WW2 using his geographical skills to advise on optimum bombing targets. Almost every one of my teachers had had a life outside education and, even if they didn't use their experiences directly, those experiences made those teachers much more three dimensional human beings. Today, teachers tend to go from school to college and back to school again with absolutely no experience of the outside world that they are supposedly preparing their students for.
I think we should actively try to recruit older people from the services, police, industry, commerce etc so they can bring some of their experience to education.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 10:46 AM

I loved being at Catholic Primary school but some of the lady teachers were cruel.
One lady teacher on a Monday morning would ask the class if they had been to Mass the day before. Being honest, I said l hadn't.
I was told to stand at the front of the class, where she then systematically slapped my face, one side and then the other whilst chanting, something like, 'It is a mortal sin to miss Mass on a Sunday and you won't miss it again, will you?' She was a horrible, cruel woman.
I also got my knuckles rapped by my favourite teacher! She hit me five times with a rod just for laughing! My knuckles bled and l cried.
In those days, you accepted it! It was the norm!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
One of the main differences between education in the 50's and 60's and today is that many teachers today seem so one-dimensional.
Today, teachers tend to go from school to college and back to school again with absolutely no experience of the outside world that they are supposedly preparing their students for.
I think we should actively try to recruit older people from the services, police, industry, commerce etc so they can bring some of their experience to education.
As an example of a teacher who had over 20 years' experience of life outside of teaching before joining the profession, I can completely agree.

I have worked with teachers, some young and some older, who have never worked outside of the school/college environment. Whilst they were very nice people, they lacked that experience of life outside the education environment.

Some people accuse some teachers of being like the children they teach. I couldn't possibly comment!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I loved being at Catholic Primary school but some of the lady teachers were cruel.
One lady teacher on a Monday morning would ask the class if they had been to Mass the day before. Being honest, I said l hadn't.
I was told to stand at the front of the class, where she then systematically slapped my face, one side and then the other whilst chanting, something like, 'It is a mortal sin to miss Mass on a Sunday and you won't miss it again, will you?' She was a horrible, cruel woman.
I also got my knuckles rapped by my favourite teacher! She hit me five times with a rod just for laughing! My knuckles bled and l cried.
In those days, you accepted it! It was the norm!
Not that long ago - and it wasn't that long ago, was it Angel? - the Catholic church bore a remarkable similarity to a certain other religion which I am loath to name!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 02:09 PM

I think it's important we make children ready for school, many don't seem to do that though and blame teachers for their failings. When Grace started I remember her mum Tasha was very concerned at a couple of children who still needed nappy changes ! Others unable to use knives and forks ! No hope they could dress themselves after pe either.

I'm not sure how teachers are supposed to cope with that. The local primary now provides breakfast for any pupil needs it as so many were hungry when they arrived. Again not what a school should have to do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-09-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think it's important we make children ready for school, many don't seem to do that though and blame teachers for their failings. When Grace started I remember her mum Tasha was very concerned at a couple of children who still needed nappy changes ! Others unable to use knives and forks ! No hope they could dress themselves after pe either.

I'm not sure how teachers are supposed to cope with that. The local primary now provides breakfast for any pupil needs it as so many were hungry when they arrived. Again not what a school should have to do.
I can corroborate that. Although I was not involved in the Nursery (thank God), I know for a fact that several 4 and 5 year-olds were still needing nappies and couldn't do the basic things you describe.

It is perfectly clear that many parents are incapable of parenting. We need to bring in qualifications (which need be only very simple) for parenthood. No child allowances without a certificate - that would stir them up!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top