Join for free
Page 30 of 38 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 05:02 PM

Re: Syria - US ships move in!

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
We are not amused..
Lighten up Audrey - it was a lighthearted comment hence the smiling devil
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Many people dislike the change in English and the many Americanisms that now appear in everyday language (from watching a lot of American tv and films). It's inevitable it will happen but there are those who dislike it (I'm one of them but I don't get angry about it. Thanks to my granddaughters, I even now use the word 'random' the same way they do!
There are a few americanisms that annoy me - but, the same for all languages - even our own ! Theres a few words I detest ......
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 05:24 PM

Approximately two-thirds of the world's native speakers of English live in the United States.

Studies on historical usage of English in the United States and the United Kingdom show that spoken American English did not simply evolve from British English, but rather retained many archaic features British English has since lost.

Differences in grammar are relatively minor. These include: different preferences for the past forms of a few verbs (for example, learned/learnt, burned/burnt, snuck/sneaked, dove/dived.) Often, these differences are a matter of relative preferences rather than absolute rules since the two varieties are constantly influencing each other.
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Audrey darlin' - but notwithstanding the corrupt spelling Americans use, 'we' (i.e UK) got there first and I think the Americans are somewhat piqued at that, since the language is ENGLISH, not AMERICAN.
Now that is a comment that could be considered offensively insular, even insolently parochial
Markey
Kent, UK

04-09-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Of course it's their native tongue when English was taken over to USA we spoke very differently here, we developed one way they went their own way which was perfectly normal I think. We now both speak slightly differently to each other and some things make far more sense in American English and some things in English English.
Very true.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Markey ->
Now that is a comment that could be considered offensively insular, even insolently parochial
Come again - or is it dictionary time for Pats .....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 06:37 PM

I believe loosely translated... arrogantly narrow minded about covers it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Thanks Audrey !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Markey ->
Approximately two-thirds of the world's native speakers of English live in the United States.

Studies on historical usage of English in the United States and the United Kingdom show that spoken American English did not simply evolve from British English, but rather retained many archaic features British English has since lost.

Differences in grammar are relatively minor. These include: different preferences for the past forms of a few verbs (for example, learned/learnt, burned/burnt, snuck/sneaked, dove/dived.) Often, these differences are a matter of relative preferences rather than absolute rules since the two varieties are constantly influencing each other.
That's interesting I think for some idiotic reason more English speakers in England forgetting obviously we are a small Island with far fewer people LOL
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's interesting I think for some idiotic reason more English speakers in England forgetting obviously we are a small Island with far fewer people LOL
It doesn't alter the fact that it didn't originate there and, in that sense, Uncle Joe is accurate.

English is the most widely spoken language worldwide (given that all airlines communicate in English) so it's not that surprising.

English, as a spoken language, had no uniformity even within England until the mid-1600s. Given that the Mayflower set sail in 1620 (or thereabouts), it's not surprising that their spelling would differ to ours or that their pronunciation is slightly different.

Page 30 of 38 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top