Join for free
Page 33 of 274 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 04:47 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Oops! Looking back at these videos, I messed up on The Byrds (No.848). Here's 'Goin' Back' in full:
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 04:29 PM

No.842: "St. Anger" by Metallica (2003)

This is the sort of music I play at the gym through headphones LOUD. One of the world's greatest metal bands with their first appearance in my list.
Love their stuff.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2018, 04:36 PM

No.841: "Soulfire" by Little Steven (2017)

Steven Van Zandt and his band The Disciples Of Soul have made a healthy succession of cool and funky albums since the 1980's. Better known as Bruce Springsteen's on-off guitarist, producer/arranger, childhood school friend, and with his extra-curricular projects such as being a competent actor (i.e. Silvio in The Sopranos), Van Zandt has more to his credit than he is acknowledged for. This is his latest album and on first hearing I loved
it, hence it's appearance in this all-time list.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Another condensed list of snippets from the next few albums in the list before we get to some more full reviews and vids:

No.840: "Language. Sex. Violence. Other." by Stereophonics (2005)
Third album already in my list from the first class Welsh rockers. This one features the No.1 single 'Dakota' amongst other gems.

No.839: "Goodbye Blue Sky" by Godley & Creme (1988)

A late 80's hidden (and mostly forgotten) album from the former 10CC duo. Fame had come all-too-briefly for them in their solo career in the early part of the decade and they put their albums on the sidelines to focus on a more lucrative career in video production. Coming across this simply album by chance, it surprised me how good it actually is. Infiectious, catchy and as good as anything they've ever done tbh.

No.838: "Songs Of Experience" by U2 (2017)
The Dublin rockers' latest album. After having had enough of Bono's pretentious preaching over the years I didn't want to even hear this album at all until a mate said I should. I gave it a grudging listen and I can honestly say that it's probably their best release for a couple of decades. Not a bad track on it.

No.837: "Isle Of View" by Pretenders (1995)
Live album featuring mostly acoustically-driven versions of some of Chrissie Hynde's band's best songs. Very introspective and personal, this record is a quite beautiful document of a more sedate version of a Pretenders live show.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2018, 04:53 PM

No.836: "Raising Sand" by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss (2007)

On paper it looked like an unlikely combination: Led Zepp's rock God teaming up with the pretty young country star Alison Krauss. But it was a combination that worked very well and earned them five Grammys.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2018, 04:58 PM

No.835: "Second Coming" by The Stone Roses (1994)

It took a full five years before the Stone Roses could sort out their legal wrangling and in-band squabblings before they returned with this rather different guitar-driven album. If the band hadn't matured personally, their music definitely had with some very high class musicianship and top tunes.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2018, 05:13 PM

No.834: "The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle" by the Sex Pistols (1979/80*)

A soundtrack album which is included because it's not merely a collection of The Sex Pistols "Greatest Hits", it's a document of their all-too-brief history. The film itself, in hindsight, isn't brilliant. It's a rather singular viewpoint of sensationalist manager Malcolm McLaren's version of "what actually happened", without any major contributions from the other members - all whom (except for Steve Jones 'acting' in the film) had gone their separate ways, or in Sid Vicious' case, had died. A far better movie is director Julien Temple's more recent 'The Filth & The Fury'. Even 'Swindle' was milked enough to be released twice in less than a year when the movie came out*.

'Swindle' isn't even an official album, there are no studio recordings except for session takes and those pretty dire later singles but it's a lot of fun and has it's moments. The Sex Pistols only made one album, more of that much later. For the music though and as a historical artefact of this most notorious of British bands, this is all good entertainment and nothing more. Here's the original trailer from the film:

Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2018, 09:58 PM

The Sex Pistols were all swindle.Musically not punk just rock and roll.Nevermind The Bollocks is a good rock and roll album.
The Ramones were proper punk.

Floydy,is there a genre of music you don't like
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
The Sex Pistols were all swindle.Musically not punk just rock and roll.Nevermind The Bollocks is a good rock and roll album.
The Ramones were proper punk.

Floydy,is there a genre of music you don't like
In their rebellious attitude I would call them basically thrill seekers. Out to shock. Their dress sense had the ideals of punk but musically, yeah just good old rock 'n' roll. "Never Mind...." is a true classic in that it brought this movement to the masses in 1977, but the American punks had a more authentic spirit of 'punk'. Then again, it was a diluted form originating from The Stooges and the MC5 a decade earlier: Garage bands.

I can't stand most rap "music", or hip hop, grime etc, except for early funk-based stuff like Grandmaster Flash and Rick James. Rihanna, Rita Ora and all that disposable pop I have no time for, but why would I be interested in music for teenagers? Similarly with boy/girl "bands": not my thing. Wrong age group.
Of the more classy end of the musical spectrum, I don't understand opera. Or most musicals.
Other than that I'm extremely versatile with my tastes.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-02-2018, 01:19 AM

Anyone using a process of elimination yet to try to figure out what might be still to come?

Page 33 of 274 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top