Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:48 PM

Re: Escape to the Country

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Our present home has as many rooms as our previous property, we like plenty of space.

Same here.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:49 PM

We never entertain more than two people at a time as we can only get four around the table, which suits us fine. If there is a family gathering we have it at one of our daughters' homes, as we will be doing on Easter Sunday. I pay for the food.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's true that many buy the bigger houses expecting their grandchildren to stay but in reality, it only happens until they get to a certain age when they prefer to be with their friends.

We could have bought a bigger house out of town but decided on a smaller one in the middle of things.

We are fortunate that we have plenty of friends and family who come together stay during the year.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, it makes me laugh that they often choose a house because they can get ten people around the table at Christmas. what about the other 364 days?
Maybe that's the reason for the houses being sold ........ the friends can seat 12 around their tables, no bother !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I watch 'Escape to the country ' sometimes and cant understand why so many 'mature' older people want to get larger , often remote properties,.Surely as we get older we need less work, not something with more cleaning, upkeeping etc. they often choose remote areas, with no neighbours,what happens if they become ill and need help?
I wonder that too, but I love seeing the houses they are shown. Some are gorgeous, if way out of my price range. I just think, why do you want a house with beams & high ceilings, think of the dusting.
I do watch Escape, but prefer Location, location, location, at least they do follow through to find out which house is bought & the houses shown are usually more in my price range. I like the banter between the presenters & clients too.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 01:01 PM

But you need a big kitchen because you have the time to cook properly instead of buying everything already made. Got to do something with all that home grown produce and eggs from the hens

Our children and grandkids are here at least one weekend a month, the grandkids more often. Yes there will be a time they won't want to come but thats a long time into the future yet as little one is only 4

Mum has her own sitting room, bedroom, ensuite and guest room as well. It works because when we or her, have guests, we don't all have to sit and be polite with them, we have our own sitting room. No arguing over whats being watched or what radio station is on and the grandkids can tear away without disturbing her

And as someone said further up in the thread, when you retire, you aren't dead, you have hobbies which you need the space for. Don't think the snooker table will fit in a two bedroom bungalow somehow
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 01:06 PM

That's different Missy, you have your Mum living with you, if in her own Granny flat. Obviously a large Family too. I would love a place like yours.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 01:06 PM

We don't see the grandchildren very often, even though three of them live about 10 miles away. That doesn't bother us, we saw a lot of when they were very young as I used to help out a lot. We often speak to them on the phone though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Maybe that's the reason for the houses being sold ........ the friends can seat 12 around their tables, no bother !
Ha ha! Bingo!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I always watch it, but have you notice, no one every buys the Properties, I think they just want to be on the show.

They do sometimes put an offer in susie.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top