Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2016, 11:10 PM

Re: Rollator.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Tuesday coming Mups, ive yet to decide if i want to put myself through it.

Well I guess you've got a few more days to think about it and decide.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2016, 11:16 PM

Nom, I don't know if you have the 'Mature Times'? If not you can access it online at -

www.maturetimes.co.uk

Anyhow, on Page 12 of the July issue there is an article about getting about with restricted mobility. It may be of interest/help to you.

It also says about sometimes the Red Cross can run transport to take you to hospital appts. and various other things. Might be useful?

www.redcross.org.uk

See what you think.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the links but cant find a page 12 online.

Yesterday i managed to find a mobility shop, and tried a couple of them. The light 3 wheel version would be no good as it tends to veer side to side which would enhance my imbalance.

The other 4 wheel version was 2 heavy and lifting it onto transport would be a problem.

I have found out about a place a distance away, that gets second hand ones in so may check it out. But i feel i may have to go down the two sticks route.

Im Ok on transport Mups, the problem i have is my legs just give way from time to time with no indication ahead of the event.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 09:16 AM

Im considering getting a Rollator, it will fold up and has a seat. My walking is not improving and it will be better than a stick.

Has anyone used one and if so any problems or things i should look for. ?
I don't use one myself but everybody and his dog with a slight mobility problem seems to have one here. There are the cheap ones for less than $90 but they don't fold very small and are difficult to get in the boot of a car - they are also steel and relatively heavy. This style is better, lighter and easier to handle on public transport. They are getting on for $200 though but worth the extra

I notice most people seem to remove the seat back as they just get in the way.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Cheers Bruce, most here are Aluminium, im told there may be Carbon Fibre models which would be expensive. That model is very close to the one im considering as the seat is important it has to be foldable with the unit.

I did think this would be an easy decision to make, but until i find one that ticks the boxes, i will have to wait.

Im off today to a warehouse which may have a few on display to put too the test. Most ove here seem to cost between £80 to £200.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 09:36 AM

Nom I think Celyn makes some very good points in her post particularly with regard to wheels....

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...539#post956539

Nom, I'm pretty conversant with rollators as my husband had three, don't ask, which he used for a while. His best was a TGA which has quite large wheels.He also had three mobility scooters, which is another story. You need one with adjustable height to the handles, brakes, locking system, for stability, easily folding, larger wheels so you don't get stuck in pavement cracks and it can be used on grass, sturdy seat with basket to carry items and easily folded. You need to make sure all operations are comfortable to your hands and you can walk pretty well upright. Most places have disables access and with a rollators you can go up a couple of steps. You put the rollators on the top step, hold the brake to support you. You soon find ways and means.Any questions, please do ask.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Have not got a month probably just next week now, struggled to find this place up here. Wondering if people get bad backs with the posture involved.
Nom lady near us uses one, she says her shoulders ache a little if she walks too far, but that is nothing compared to the safety it gives to her. She is often seen now in the village happily perusing the charity shops whereas when she kept falling she had become a bit of a hermit scared to go out.

Mobility shops are expensive but if you have one near by they are able to advice on best option and can let you try one, pop off and buy what you want after. Or Red Cross can lend you on for a donation I believe which gives you a chance to try one at home.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the links but cant find a page 12 online.

Im Ok on transport Mups, the problem i have is my legs just give way from time to time with no indication ahead of the event.

I've found it, but incase the new link doesn't work, if you go back to the Mature Times home page, there are all sub headings along the top of the page. Click on TRAVEL, and it is the very first article.

http://www.maturetimes.co.uk/getting...cted-mobility/

If someone could take you to your appointments, at least you would have someone with you if you had another fall.
Would that be useful?

Here is a very good link for information too. It explains how to borrow from them and what equipment they can help with.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/What-we-d.../Mobility-aids
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

28-07-2016, 04:18 PM

Thanks Meg, Julie and Mups, our local transport is very good with those using mobility scooters and wheelchairs, so no problem there for me.

Been to a charity warehouse today they have taken my number as none in stock today. Good point about the pain Julie, it would probably be my back i would have trouble with.

Im not disabled though your Article Mups has some terminology i would consider suit my present condition, temporary impediment, or limited mobility.

Thanks again all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 04:38 PM

Nom, you need to appeal the PIP decision!
Sometimes folk get it on appeal.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top