Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 05:20 PM

Re: Do you argue about the Heating??

We have learned to compromise, we both agreed that the temperature of the front room where we spend most of our time should be no higher than 73 degrees and no lower than 70 degrees.
So if her indoors is too hot she takes her clothes off to suit, and if I am too cold I put some on.
The secret guys is to turn the stat up when she is not looking, and sit back and watch the strip show.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 05:31 PM

That's a good idea Arthur, but my missus is so cold I'd have to be melting before I got a glimpse of an ankle
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 05:36 PM

The joys of living alone - it's 24℃ on my thermometer .....
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 06:04 PM

Its 17 on on ours most of the time so not much stripping here. Brrrrrrrr
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 08:17 PM

I am mostly cold and have numb feet and blue fingers all winter and summer if its raining.Its like an old folks home in here as I have a blanket round my legs to keep warm, plus I keep dropping off, oh the joys of being elderly( I said that as its Christmas, I usually say old)
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bridie ->
Could I just ask, do others find it best to leave the heating on overnight or turn it off. We have ours on 19 which I find quite low. Our house is quite chilly and we do sometimes put other heaters on to top it up. I leave the heating on all the time and wondered whether we should turn it off overnight but thought if we did the house would get so cold it would never heat up again as I cant get it to go above 19.

What are your ideas, would I save more money do you think or would it cost more because I would have to use the other heater to bring it back up in the day?
I honestly think you should leave the heating on but turn the thermostat down to say 15° then the boiler won't be going hell for leather in the morning to get it back up to temperature. When it's really cold, that's what we do.
Could you not get someone in to look at the heating? 19° is quite low for a maximum temperature. Maybe the thermostatic rad valves need adjusting.
(all this was hubby's advice )
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I honestly think you should leave the heating on but turn the thermostat down to say 15° then the boiler won't be going hell for leather in the morning to get it back up to temperature. When it's really cold, that's what we do.
Our heating has been on 15 for all summer but it never comes on when its so low. (we call that it being switched off)
It has to be set on 20 or over before it clicks on. The house is well insulated fortunately
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 07:25 PM

My brother in law came round today and sorted out the heating for me. We now have a warm house and hot water.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bridie ->
My brother in law came round today and sorted out the heating for me. We now have a warm house and hot water.
Really? So you can get it to a higher temperature now? That is so good, nothing worse than being cold in your own home. Did your brother-in-law find out if it had been fixed by the landlord?
Bridie
northants

30-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Apparantly it had been turned right down and he said some people do it in the summer. So he turned both the heating and the water up so we have hot water too because the water was only tepid too.

The heater dial when it kept flicking back down to 17 when I altered it that was because it was showing the actual heat not the heat it was set at.

It was cold because it was by the front door but it wasnt getting any higher because it was so low so I was right but that was why the dial kept going back to 17 all the time, glad I didnt get a plumber, I hate to look daft in front of experts.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top