Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 08:06 PM

Re: Over and Out

I'm surprised

(or am I )

That the Chairperson was able to cut off the mike. Does this happen in a democracy?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm surprised

(or am I )

That the Chairperson was able to cut off the mike. Does this happen in a democracy?
Only with opinions the EU don't like. IRS UK to sing and wave scarves with flags on though.

Part of the EU cult
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm surprised

(or am I )

Of course. The speaking rules are part of a code that was laid down by parliament itself. It ensures everybody gets the same amount of time to state his or hers case. Not a shouting match, but a debate with a civilised exchange of arguments. A bit like on this forum
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Perhaps you are ignorant of the speaking rules in europarliament. Farage was attributed 4 minutes time to address parliament. The chair of the parliament keeps oversight that every member sticks to that time and doesn't ussurp the time of others (seems a tactic common in HoC?).
If a speaking member exceeds his alloted time, or uses abusive language, his/her microphone is closed. It seems a more sophisticated way than shouting: order! Order!
I apologize for the length of the following, but I have been thinking about this event for most of the afternoon.

Solasch, I agree with you that this forum is an excellent way to exchange ideas, and I appreciate your views. I fully believe that civility is at the heart of diplomacy, conflict resolution, and more importantly - respect and consideration for others.

No doubt, there is a fine line between free speech and chaos.

I certainly agree that there are times when cutting the microphone might be appropriate per the rules of protocol, but McGuiness's choice to cut off Farage was neither because of time nor because of abusive language. We don't know for sure because the rule that was broken was not articulated. Nothing in his is comments were incendiary enough to incite a melee and so his free speech rights were unjustifiably violated.

However, you piqued my interest, Solasch, so I read up on the flag-waving and found that it is technically a violation of protocol to wave a flag the plenary chamber. The consequence is not nearly as benign as cutting off the microphone (and violating free speech). In fact, it is more severe. MEP's who violate the rule are not allowed to travel on their junkets for a period of one year. A year? That's some oppressive penalty for stating one's mind in the form of expressing the flag of a member state in a meeting. That's a problem.

Is assertively waving the EU flag a violation during a session? Interestingly, it is not. Why? Because the EU doesn't consider itself to be equal to each member state, it considers itself to be above member nations. Nations are expected to yield their national identity to the authority of the EU. That's also a problem.

Should anyone wonder, suppression of the waving of a flag is an absolute violation of free speech. The EU made this clear by regularly trying to make it a crime to burn an EU flag (which is odd considering the EU is not a nation). Yet another problem. Again, because in weighing rights and chaos, one would hope that the MEP's would have more fortitude than to allow themselves to be offended by a symbol to the point of chaos-inducing behavior. Kudos to the MEPs of various nations who exemplified decorum that during when Farage started waving.

If there is outrage and/or consequences to be had over Farage's flag-waving as an embarrassment - then the consequences should ONLY come from the democracy that put him in that position. It is up to the voters to determine whether or not he can speak in such a manner and get away with it. It is absolutely none of EU's business whether or not Farage's remarks were rude or inappropriate. The EU exercising authoritarianism over democracy might just be the biggest problem of all.

All said, the news is good here for everyone. What we all should be celebrating is that the appropriate scrutiny is exactly what taking place in this discussion forum (and countless other places). There is a healthy debate about whether or not Farage's behavior was acceptable, and the voting public will ultimately send their message, one way or the other, to Farage and other politicians. Even better, we are able to share and watch the speech! (Thank you, Puddle Duck.) Solasch, neither your opinion nor mine should be given much weight unless the forum members and voters out there are willing to consider it, but at the very least, I am grateful to be able to be given a chair in the audience.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 07:44 AM

Haven't seen anyone's private residence garnished with flags, that is a surprise, perhaps its because folks are concerned that remainers would be "Grunting at the Bunting".
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 09:03 AM

No bunting at my house ...in my circle of friends we all voted differently some leavers some remainers it's the same in my family too...my kids stopped speaking to each other after the referendum....they are ok now but I think having a victory independance party might be a step too far and reopen old wounds.

I'm just pleased we are out and all still speaking... we will celebrate with Brexiteer pals but it will be low key.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 09:53 AM

No bunting at my house ...in my circle of friends we all voted differently some leavers some remainers it's the same in my family too...my kids stopped speaking to each other after the referendum....they are ok now but I think having a victory independance party might be a step too far and reopen old wounds.

I'm just pleased we are out and all still speaking... we will celebrate with Brexiteer pals but it will be low key.

As a Leaver, I feel the same, Summer - especially when Scotland as a whole expressed a desire to remain.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 10:04 AM

I’ll be leaving a light on and refusing to celebrate anything with the whiff of xenophobia.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

All said, the news is good here for everyone. What we all should be celebrating is that the appropriate scrutiny is exactly what taking place in this discussion forum (and countless other places). There is a healthy debate about whether or not Farage's behavior was acceptable, and the voting public will ultimately send their message, one way or the other, to Farage and other politicians. Even better, we are able to share and watch the speech! (Thank you, Puddle Duck.) Solasch, neither your opinion nor mine should be given much weight unless the forum members and voters out there are willing to consider it, but at the very least, I am grateful to be able to be given a chair in the audience.
In last december election farage and his party was wiped out. This was his last moment of fame.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 11:58 AM

Lot's of British beer tonight, British gin and tonic and a roast beef dinner. Tomorrow morning, a full English breakfast and then down to Frinton (where UKIP was born funnily enough) to our stripey British Beach Hut for English tea and English cakes by the British Sea.

Then in the evening, home for fish and chips and then to a very English pub to see the British band and some more British beer, British Gin and maybe an English cider with our Brexit friends.

For the remainers, don't worry because tomorrow morning, you can celebrate...

Queues at Calais and fruit and veg rotting in the back of lorries
20 mile tail backs on the M20
No chicken at KFC
800,000 people becoming unemployed
The banks leaving the UK and setting up in Frankfurt
An outbreak of "super gonnorrhea"
The UK economy collapsing
The pound hitting rock bottom
Japan pulling Nissan out of Sunderland
The USA putting our trade deal to "the back of the line"
No pharmaceutical products and the import of millions of body bags
No electricity in Northern Ireland
Something about Gibraltar
Pollution of drinking water
The collapse of the NHS when migrants flee the country
House prices will plummet
People will no longer be able to afford to go on holiday
No Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top