Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 08:09 AM

Re: Do You Discipline Your Thinking?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
This is a very unfair conversation. Women don't have a "Nothing Box"

This is so funny and so true
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 08:26 AM

I used to overthink things and sometimes worried about things before they happened. Especially, about my children.

I am not so bad these days as l can tell myself not to worry about things that haven’t happened.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 08:30 AM

Like Art has said I’ve been known to over think & worry about what mightn’t happen.

However as long as I don’t lose my mind ...that’s the main thing.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 09:41 AM

Don't you think that putting any sort of restriction, on your thinking, can be very negative - and dangerous?

Shouldn't our Brains be able to surge around all of our remembered experiences, and knowledge, to be able to find the right links & responses?

I hear that the brain is auto-programmed to react to an emergency.

I think mine likes to find something positive (or amusing) if it can!

That's why I'm such a miserable so & so!

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
This is a very unfair conversation. Women don't have a "Nothing Box"

Nothing more to be said is there.....spot on....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Your mind never wanders?
Sorry Surfermom, I misunderstood the question....

Of course my mind wanders, but only when I let it. I can allocate it a job and away it goes, or I can shut it down on those nights when I can't get to sleep for thinking of stuff. It does take practice though.

I find that it doesn't work too well trying to do two jobs at once. And these days most of the everyday things I do have to be carefully choreographed so I can think of something else while completing the task in hand, if I do something out of order and everything goes tits up...

Road running is best for mind wandering, and before you know it the problems have been solved and lots of miles have been covered.....
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 11:18 AM

What passes for a brain, where I am concerned, is in overdrive most of the time, which can be rather annoying.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 12:21 PM

My mind is independent of my body and does as it pleases...
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 02:36 PM

Several years ago I realized I was trying to stay a jump ahead of unforeseen circumstances in daily life, thoughts were in overdrive.
I decided to spend an hour every morning over coffee to mentally sort through things and people needing attention, and what I intended to do about them that day.
It has worked for me, then the rest of the day there is no subconscious niggling to get serious. If a crisis arises, I let my "worry and concern side" kick in for two hours, decide what to do, then let it go.

Did I say these nice folks around me often unlock the doors and my straitjacket twice a day for exercise? So very kind of them.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Don't you think that putting any sort of restriction, on your thinking, can be very negative - and dangerous?

Shouldn't our Brains be able to surge around all of our remembered experiences, and knowledge, to be able to find the right links & responses?

I hear that the brain is auto-programmed to react to an emergency.

I think mine likes to find something positive (or amusing) if it can!

That's why I'm such a miserable so & so!

Yes, Ted, for the most part your mind is best when left to run around untethered, but certainly you want your surgeon not thinking about his scalpel instead of his golf swing, your brain to shut down as you try to fall asleep, or to not go down the path of say, thinking negatively about someone or something that isn't good for the soul.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry Surfermom, I misunderstood the question....

Of course my mind wanders, but only when I let it. I can allocate it a job and away it goes, or I can shut it down on those nights when I can't get to sleep for thinking of stuff. It does take practice though.

I find that it doesn't work too well trying to do two jobs at once. And these days most of the everyday things I do have to be carefully choreographed so I can think of something else while completing the task in hand, if I do something out of order and everything goes tits up...

Road running is best for mind wandering, and before you know it the problems have been solved and lots of miles have been covered.....
I still haven't learned to calm my brain when falling asleep (though insomnia is a brand new experience).

You are smart to avoid multi-tasking. Though they say women are better at it, it has been proven to result in less desirable outcomes. I though that very interesting!

Aaaah, the pleasures of letting the mind wander when we do...

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Several years ago I realized I was trying to stay a jump ahead of unforeseen circumstances in daily life, thoughts were in overdrive.
I decided to spend an hour every morning over coffee to mentally sort through things and people needing attention, and what I intended to do about them that day.
It has worked for me, then the rest of the day there is no subconscious niggling to get serious. If a crisis arises, I let my "worry and concern side" kick in for two hours, decide what to do, then let it go.

Did I say these nice folks around me often unlock the doors and my straitjacket twice a day for exercise? So very kind of them.
What an easy and practical strategy! Thank you for that.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top