Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 11:07 PM

Re: Diesel cars

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh dear, I'm afraid it's much worse than that.

Once we have all converted to petrol cars they'll introduce new taxes to penalise them.

Then it will have to be electric cars, and then......

Yes, you've got the picture!
It's so demoralising isn't it I don't want an electric car because I don't believe the batteries are reliable and it will be long time before any 'charging' points are available around here and when they are they will be vandalised PDQ.

I prefer a diesel over a petrol on reliability and starting criteria.

I can remember when the government of the day was urging us to buy diesel cars and reduced the fuel duty to make diesel fuel cheaper than petrol. Wish to God these muppets would make their minds up
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 12:16 AM

Totally agree
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
It's so demoralising isn't it I don't want an electric car because I don't believe the batteries are reliable and it will be long time before any 'charging' points are available around here and when they are they will be vandalised PDQ.

I prefer a diesel over a petrol on reliability and starting criteria.

I can remember when the government of the day was urging us to buy diesel cars and reduced the fuel duty to make diesel fuel cheaper than petrol. Wish to God these muppets would make their minds up
I agree. What is worse, when the batteries fail or become less able to hold their charge, the replacement costs are said to be sky high.

I too prefer diesel for the reasons you state. In addition, the engines are much simpler = less to go wrong.

I don't remember diesel being cheaper than petrol although, due to the fact that it requires less refining, it should be.

And that's the real problem with all of this 'eco' rubbish: they change their minds more frequently than I change my underpants. (Well, that's not strictly true, of course. I promise!)
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Thing with electric cars is, in most cases, you have to lease the batteries, adding to the cost
Diesel used to be cheaper many years ago, before the diesel car as we know it today was born, diesels used to be quite agricultural, noisy, smelly, slow things, now the diesel cars engines are hard to distinguish from petrol equivalents, but because of the on going search to reduce pollution, diesels have to be fitted with dpfs, egr valves, which are problematic, mainly because the salespeople didn't find out from the customers, how it would be used, short around town trips don't suit the dpf equipped diesel. Vw tiguan 2.0l engines, ( diesel) are having the fix done ( from the diesel gate scandal) and are having problems with poor running, because the dpf regeneration happens more often than it used to , and it's affecting them
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Thing with electric cars is, in most cases, you have to lease the batteries, adding to the cost
Diesel used to be cheaper many years ago, before the diesel car as we know it today was born, diesels used to be quite agricultural, noisy, smelly, slow things, now the diesel cars engines are hard to distinguish from petrol equivalents, but because of the on going search to reduce pollution, diesels have to be fitted with dpfs, egr valves, which are problematic, mainly because the salespeople didn't find out from the customers, how it would be used, short around town trips don't suit the dpf equipped diesel. Vw tiguan 2.0l engines, ( diesel) are having the fix done ( from the diesel gate scandal) and are having problems with poor running, because the dpf regeneration happens more often than it used to , and it's affecting them
I wonder whether they'll eventually see sense and agree to remove these problematic restrictions from diesel engines. I'd be surprised if some countries, like China, even have them.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 12:03 PM

I wonder whether they'll eventually see sense and agree to remove these problematic restrictions from diesel engines. I'd be surprised if some countries, like China, even have them.
It wouldn't be sense it would be a calamity!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 07:53 AM

As electricity prices rise and fuel prices stagnate more Australian businesses are going back to diesel powered electrical generation.

Farmers get a rebate from the Federal Government for diesel fuel, but even without it diesel is still the most cost effective option.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-03-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As electricity prices rise and fuel prices stagnate more Australian businesses are going back to diesel powered electrical generation.

Farmers get a rebate from the Federal Government for diesel fuel, but even without it diesel is still the most cost effective option.
The Australians seem to be immune from the eco-warriors and their assurances that the world is coming to an end.

How I wish we had as much common sense.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:19 AM

The Australians seem to be immune from the eco-warriors and their assurances that the world is coming to an end.

How I wish we had as much common sense.
Common sense is taking global warming seriously!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:49 AM

Hi

China has serious air pollution issues.

They are tightening up.

https://www.ft.com/content/30185c82-...a-c7ac04ef00aa

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top