Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 06:44 PM

Re: What is the most money you have wasted on something?

Originally Posted by carol ->
£3,000 on a leather settee & 2 chairs.

After only 18 months the leather on the settee started to peel - small at first and then it spread to massive holes as big as saucers. Of course we had the retailers out to it (Furniture Village) they sent an assessor who said there was nothing wrong with the leather and it wasn't Furniture Villages responsibility. They implied we hadn't looked after it properly - but we had. It was in a good position - away from the radiator & only Tony used it.

I approached Trading Standards and other organisations but none could help us!!

We still have it now & put a throw there to hide the holes.
Waste of money but no fault of our own!!
Carol, that's terrible
I'd have phoned BBC Watchdog as a last resort!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 08:13 PM

Carol, we had the same problem with our two 2 Seater sofa's, I think I did show you the letters that I sent to them, this was DFS, again the Assessor said it was us not treating our furniture properly, there are only 2 of us in the House and we never abuse the furniture and again it was less time then your and Trading Standards did nothing to help, this must be now about 6 years ago and we still have them.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 08:32 PM

I was looking at buying some leather settees, but don't think I will now.
I have wasted money on a lot of little things which I liked but never needed. I started collecting Lladro and Royal Crown Derby birds, collecting them one by one and buying from e-Bay. I became a bit obsessed collecting them and I now have cupboards and drawers full of the things, all wrapped in tissue or bubble-wrap and in their boxes. I never get them out these days and feel they have been a waste of money. I don't know how much I have spent but many pieces cost over £100 each, so it must be in the thousands.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Carol, we had the same problem with our two 2 Seater sofa's, I think I did show you the letters that I sent to them, this was DFS, again the Assessor said it was us not treating our furniture properly, there are only 2 of us in the House and we never abuse the furniture and again it was less time then your and Trading Standards did nothing to help, this must be now about 6 years ago and we still have them.
I remember you telling me about it Susie.
DFS & Furniture Village are about as good as one another.

I wish I'd had the courage to sue them in court but I was afraid of losing a lot of money. I don't know how they get away with it..

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Carol, that's terrible
I'd have phoned BBC Watchdog as a last resort!

I did all that. I contacted every consumer programme I knew about on TV and radio.

They weren't interested.

I know people who've had problems with leather furniture from M&S and Next and they were treated well - the furniture was replaced - no quibble..

I was unlucky with the company I bought mine from.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by oldfool ->
wasted my whole life on useless poetry but no regrets. being a addict is not easy.
That doesn't rhyme.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Chocolate.

Not all in one go obviously but I must have spent a fair amount over the years. probably around £15K
Added another £2.50 this evening.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 10:59 PM

Go onto FB, tell your tale, what happened, what you did and the outcome..Send it to friends who will send to their friends etc etc..Big companies do not like negative publicity....
Keep it factual, don’t make unproven accusations, what have you to lose?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

21-04-2018, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Go onto FB, tell your tale, what happened, what you did and the outcome..Send it to friends who will send to their friends etc etc..Big companies do not like negative publicity....
Keep it factual, don’t make unproven accusations, what have you to lose?
OK. But I'm not sure they would be interested in my lion bar and two Twirls.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 11:03 PM

I was referring to the sofa Saga, but if you are having problems with your Lion Bar I am willing to take up your case with higher authorities..my fees are quite reasonable..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 01:07 AM

In six weeks time I will know whether the three grand I have spent on a holiday scheme (or 'scam'?) would be the best of worse money spent on anything. I shall be continuing a thread I began last July about it

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top