Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 06:35 PM

Re: Have you ever been lonely?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
When l was married and later living with someone, the one thing that l dreaded and never wanted to happen to me, was ever living alone...

Yet when it happened, almost six years ago, l didn’t feel sad or scared, l felt free and absolutely rejuvenated!

It was the best thing and it made me do things without always relying on other people.

It was fine for me but l imagine for others, it might be unbearable.
That is good Art. But how do we differentiate those that need a little company?
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Thanks!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Àmericano ->
Thanks!
Welcome. Now at the top you can introduce yourself.
Click on this link http://www.over50sforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 06:40 PM

I appreciate you all being here. Wishing you all a great day (or evening!)...
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Yet when it happened, almost six years ago, l didn’t feel sad or scared, l felt free and absolutely rejuvenated!

It was the best thing and it made me do things without always relying on other people.

It was fine for me but l imagine for others, it might be unbearable.
I can certainly relate to that. I have loved living alone (after having a controlling husband) and often holidaying alone, loved the travelling after twenty years of never having a holiday.

My loneliness is now simply because of my inability to go out, do the voluntary jobs I have done in the past, and not managing my garden. So really the loneliness is induced by isolation.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

24-01-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I can certainly relate to that. I have loved living and often holidaying alone, loved the travelling after twenty years of never having a holiday.

My loneliness is now simply because of my inability to go out, do the voluntary jobs I have done in the past, and not managing my garden. So really the loneliness is induced by isolation.
CeeCee may I politely ask if there is a volunteer bureau in your area? I used to belong to one in another area.
Everyone volunteering is subject to a thorough police check.
It is all free.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 07:03 PM

Yes, Sweetie there is a Volunteer Bureau, my problem is that I am now unable physically to take on anything. I do still help at a club for the Blind once a month, but think I will have to give that up simply because of my poor mobility, I feel that I am not much help. I have been there for eight years. In the past I volunteered at a library, charity shop and a hospital Friends group.

p.s. Forgot to add that I was CRB checked when I volunteered at a local Primary school, listening to the children reading.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

24-01-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Yes, Sweetie there is a Volunteer Bureau, my problem is that I am now unable physically to take on anything. I do still help at a club for the Blind once a month, but think I will have to give that up simply because of my poor mobility, I feel that I am not much help. I have been there for eight years. In the past I volunteered at a library, charity shop and a hospital Friends group.
Sorry, CeeCee I meant a volunteer to help you with your gardening or something. You have done your bit, and I am truly sorry that you are unable to continue. Let someone help you now maybe.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2018, 07:21 PM

Sweetie, I know, there are volunteers who will visit people in their own homes or take them out but some people are wary of having strangers in their homes.

I think a free bus pass is great for mobile, lonely people as it gives them somewhere to go and many people want to chat to you on the bus or at the bus stop.

If the government ever stops providing free bus travel, then some people will never leave their house again! This has a knock on effect of people suffering depression and more money being spent on healthcare for them. Free bus travel is probably cheaper in the long run.

Weekends for many, are the loneliest. If children, relatives or friends just rang for a short time during this time it would lift the lonely person. I have known people say, they have never opened their mouth and spoken words to someone for days.

My dog is great company but not everyone can keep a dog. Some people have budgies or canaries but this isn’t something for everyone.

It’s a difficult subject to know how to solve the problem of loneliness.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

24-01-2018, 08:35 PM

Sweetie, I know, there are volunteers who will visit people in their own homes or take them out but some people are wary of having strangers in their homes.

I think a free bus pass is great for mobile, lonely people as it gives them somewhere to go and many people want to chat to you on the bus or at the bus stop.

If the government ever stops providing free bus travel, then some people will never leave their house again! This has a knock on effect of people suffering depression and more money being spent on healthcare for them. Free bus travel is probably cheaper in the long run.

Weekends for many, are the loneliest. If children, relatives or friends just rang for a short time during this time it would lift the lonely person. I have known people say, they have never opened their mouth and spoken words to someone for days.

My dog is great company but not everyone can keep a dog. Some people have budgies or canaries but this isn’t something for everyone.

It’s a difficult subject to know how to solve the problem of loneliness.
I agree with you entirely Art. The issue with the bus passes!
Don't get me started!

People are wary of strangers, there is no easy answer to this problem. There are young people who are also isolated, society has changed.
Interesting posts as everyone is different.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top