Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Re: £10 Assisted Passage

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
It never ceases to amaze me when I watch Wanted Down Under, all the families inevitably have very close relatives they don't want to leave! Then why go on the programme? The cynic in me wonders if they just want a free week in their chosen destination.

Why put themselves and their loved ones through all that anguish? I long for the day that someone goes on the show, is leaving no-one behind, and goes off to their new life.

But then I suppose it won't make good telly.

Yes, I agree with you Jazzi.
You o.k now?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I was brought here by my parents when I was 8 so had no choice in the matter. I grew up accepting Australia as my home. In 1980 my first husband and I decided to return to the UK for a holiday, the first time in 30 years.

I was the opposite of Bruce - the moment i stepped out into England I felt I had come back home. By that time of course we had adult children (and later on grandchildren) here and my parents were getting older and we wouldn't have been able to afford a house in England. Then after my marriage ended I came back and taught in Kent for 2 years and absolutely loved it.

Since then I met my current partner who is a Geordie and we now, for the last seven years, come back every year during our winter. We are torn between the two countries as I have never been a fan of bush, beaches and outback. I miss the history, the access to culture, the cheap and quick travel and the diversity. However, I guess we are having the best of both worlds at the moment.
That's why I could never live downunder, jaywalker. It's just too isolated from the rest of the world whereas here we have so much on our doorstep.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Not too good, Mups, thanks for asking.

Just this second had a large twinge that made me stop in my tracks and gasp out loud in pain. Had got up from computer chair to change Sky tv channel. Didn't take oxycodone last night as I desperately wanted to 'go to the toilet'. Once I had done so this morning I then took a dose. Woke up around 3.30 am and had another cry with the pain so took some paracetamols to see me through.

Gawd knows what they've done to me, but surely this isn't right? Four weeks ago today and I don't feel the pain will ever go away. The worst part is if I accidently pull on the catheter tube or knock it, the pain is sickening. Just briefly, but sickening nonetheless.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
That's why I could never live downunder, jaywalker. It's just too isolated from the rest of the world whereas here we have so much on our doorstep.
Australia is the rest of the world Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia are just an eight hour flight away.

It always makes me laugh that the first five hours are spent flying over Australia (in England they just about manage to get the wheels up before you are in France)

I suppose it was having teachers as parents but I think history in the form of piles of old bricks, stones and holes in the ground is over rated. As Spike Milligan said, Australia has it's priorities right when you have beautiful beaches, azure oceans, blue skies, vast open spaces and cold beer who cares about culture?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Australia is the rest of the world Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia are just an eight hour flight away.

It always makes me laugh that the first five hours are spent flying over Australia (in England they just about manage to get the wheels up before you are in France)

I suppose it was having teachers as parents but I think history in the form of piles of old bricks, stones and holes in the ground is over rated. As Spike Milligan said, Australia has it's priorities right when you have beautiful beaches, azure oceans, blue skies, vast open spaces and cold beer who cares about culture?

Yes Bruce matey, but as I've pointed out previously, you also have salt-water crocodiles, great white Sharks and numerous poisonous snakes and creepy crawlies capable of killing and/or maiming any unsuspecting human who wanders into their territory.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes Bruce matey, but as I've pointed out previously, you also have salt-water crocodiles, great white Sharks and numerous poisonous snakes and creepy crawlies capable of killing and/or maiming any unsuspecting human who wanders into their territory.
can quite honestly raise my hand and say "never seen any of those unless in a zoo or aquarium" as can the majority of ozzies - it's a scare tactic - which we were subjected to when we first arrived - boo they said - there's a red back spider. Never either experienced extreme flooding in OZ so do sympathize with what you are all going through - my mate in London tells me you have just had a red alert warning?

We are also very glad we are not part of any EU agreement and also glad that we are able to secure our borders effectively and stop hordes of 'illegal immigrants' entering.

Isolated ? - one touch away on my keyboard and I use skype regularly for world communication.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Joe, me old pal, me old beauty. You really are a treasure house of joyful ignorance. As someone pointed out the chances of any of those creatures harming you are minuscule.

Snakes want to get away from a human, the people that get bitten are inevitably those that that try to catch or kill a snake. There is one death a year on average.

Sharks? on average less than 20 people are killed by sharks world wide whereas over 50 people die from drowning on Australian beaches alone.

Spiders, I have had a families of red backs living in my garage door and front door frames for decades. Never been bitten by any spider. No one dies from spider bites.

Compare this with horse riding in the UK which results in 10 deaths a year. British horses are obviously far more dangerous than sharks, crocodiles, snakes and spiders put together. You'd be safer living here and if you were fortunate enough to do so your life expectancy would receive a sudden boost too.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 11:10 PM

Spent six weeks in Australia last year without an encounter and we will be spending eight weeks this year. I have no fears about being bitten, stung or eaten.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 11:22 PM

Just glad I have never had Antipodean "Ants in my Pants".
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2014, 03:07 AM

Good job we're all different.

I have absolutely no interest in the Asian culture that is on our doorstep. I have been to most Asian countries and have no desire to go again. And I love European old bricks and their history. Guess I'm just not the right fit for Australia but am stuck with it! Probably has something to do with living in Tasmania which is even more isolated and uninteresting than other parts of Australia.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top