Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2015, 10:36 PM

Re: Cancer is the best way to die?

The way I saw it this doctor was saying that death from cancer may give a person time to put things in order, spend time with loved ones, maybe see a loved one one last time and do things they might wish to do before they die.

I think that living with cancer can in some instances be more difficult than dying of cancer, not always but sometimes. I have seen people pass away from cancer who simply passed peacefully in their sleep and often after a period in a coma when they were unaware of what was happening.

There is no disputing the fact that pain and suffering is associated with advanced cancer and that chemotherapy is unpleasant at best.

I think we fear cancer because of the suffering related to having the disease.
It's also probably true that people sometimes suffer just as much with other diseases and having a disease which means struggling for each breath for example is not pleasant.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 11:44 PM

Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, all side effects of Old Age, If you have had a few more years than your predecessors what's the problem?.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2015, 12:13 PM

I suppose I'm not alone in getting it relatively young but I took the operations and am still here 30 years later. Maybe it will be what sees me off in the end but I won't be able to say I didn't get the warning.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I suppose I'm not alone in getting it relatively young but I took the operations and am still here 30 years later. Maybe it will be what sees me off in the end but I won't be able to say I didn't get the warning.
See! Mart! There are survivors . It's not a death sentence for everyone. Glad you have come through it and hope you are well.

My partner had lung cancer and had a lung removed. He, also, keeps well.

We need to remember the survivors.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:21 AM

It tends to worry me that so many people refer to "cancer" as if it's one disease, when in fact it is a multitude of diseases. Some cancers are totally curable without too much nasty treatment, and some aren't. I think we need to remember that.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:42 AM

Glad that your partner is also a survivor Alice. There are many of us I expect.

Mine was a kidney removal and recurring growths on the wall of the bladder ..all zapped (lasered) away as they appeared. I'm fine now. No effects of only having only one kidney apart from a slight lean to the right and a tendency to ride my bike round in circles.

Just had another scan on the remaining kidney. It's known that there is a lump inside but it has been that way for years and there has been no recurrence of other growths. If the lump in the kidney has got no larger, I'm going to be signed off after about 27 years of annual examinations (ops for about the first 3 years on and off).
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 12:48 AM

Glad to hear that, mart. I think kidney cancer is one of the "good" ones to have!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-01-2015, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Glad to hear that, mart. I think kidney cancer is one of the "good" ones to have!
It is. I think perhaps because the kidney is kind of self-contained and sits in a cavity of its own. A bit unlucky that the problem had made its way down the tube to the bladder but lucky it was found at all. If I hadn't got an infection that meant giving a sample, the cells might not have been found in time.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top