Join for free
Page 40 of 58 « First < 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 01:40 AM

Re: Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 1)

the when I was a lad series

when I was a very very young lad I am told I had golden, well, blonde, well fair dreadlocks due to the fact that my dear Ma couldn't bring herself to cut them. I had my first haircut at 5 yrs although I cannot recall the event. but somewhere in my untidy den there is a small B/W shot of me sitting on me tricycle with me blonde dreadlocks - I will try to hunt it down.

the photo I don't have and ever wish to have is my bright pink knitted outfit again around the 4 yr old stage

- the Ma had of course knitted this proudly perhaps this is the reason I never spoke to her for 20 yrs in later years - I think I recall being extremely reluctant to venture out but pushed I was in my pink outfit - my blushes turned it red and so did the well aimed brick thrown at me by probably a jealous boy

- direct hit to the forehead and fresh red blood streaming down onto the lovely pink outfit - top and pants ya know - well at least it had to be removed and possibly never seen the light of day again!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 11:57 AM

Mups my apologies for that stupid mistake.
Your name always brings Buddy Holly to mind “Mups sa daisy how you drive me crazy but I guess it doesn’t matter anymore” not to mention “Meg and Sue”, sorry Peggy Sue

I came over all sentimental reading the opening of the ‘Lad’ series, looking forward to more Gumbud.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Your name always brings Buddy Holly to mind “Mups sa daisy how you drive me crazy but I guess it doesn’t matter anymore” not to mention “Meg and Sue”, sorry Peggy Sue

I came over all sentimental reading the opening of the ‘Lad’ series, looking forward to more Gumbud.
well you can have a go too Jem!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 02:46 PM

You bin in the sun too long today Jem?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You bin in the sun too long today Jem?
I'm afraid so Mups, but I got a great tan. I was looking like a corpse I was so white, I'm looking like a brown corpse now, but feel great.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

13-05-2015, 09:50 PM

Just me and the Sandeman.

Sit down and pour yourself a fine glass of Sandeman
As good for a King as it is for a handyman
On any bottle there’s no better bloke
Than the long thin figure in the jet black cloak
Of aches and pains we may all complain
Just pour some port down your big red lane
In no time atal you’ll be a new man
With the power and strength of Genghis Khan
So to all ye fair maids and auld ones too
I lift my glass and bid you adieu.
I feel I want to be alone
To relax here on my cushioned throne
Now it’s time to have a chat
Just me and the man in the caballero’s hat.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 10:37 PM

You're a gem, Jem. Cheers.

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

14-05-2015, 01:31 AM

Just me and the Sandeman.

Sit down and pour yourself a fine glass of Sandeman
As good for a King as it is for a handyman
On any bottle there’s no better bloke
Than the long thin figure in the jet black cloak
Of aches and pains we may all complain
Just pour some port down your big red lane
In no time atal you’ll be a new man
With the power and strength of Genghis Khan
So to all ye fair maids and auld ones too
I lift my glass and bid you adieu.
I feel I want to be alone
To relax here on my cushioned throne
Now it’s time to have a chat
Just me and the man in the caballero’s hat.

you really ought to copyright these if they're yours Jem?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

14-05-2015, 01:32 AM

Bombed Sites, Burglars and Bicycles

My first house, that of my birth was at the epicenter of three adjourning streets. I lived at NO 1 XXXXXX – we all had a bombed site which was the first beginnings of the modern kindergarten! Each street ‘owned’ their own bombed site – ours was small, compact and ‘clean’ no rumble so we were able to engage in a whole range of games from cricket, marbles and house building. The other two sites were interesting and not totally out of bounds but we stuck to ours firmly. The other sites were larger, undulating [not unchallenging for curious kids] and covered in damaged bricks[hazardous at times]. So we played happily within earshot and eyesight of the Ma and Da. We also had right next door to NO 1 a pub – more of that later.

For some reason unfathomable to me apart from ‘we can’t afford it’ I never had a bicycle or tricycle until me teen years but that didn’t stop me acquiring others. One particular girl I think had a tricycle and would happily loan it to me frequently and off I would go tearing around the place doing two wheel acrobats until her dear mother would appear yelling her head off and rescuing the tricycle from me – re-ensconcing her daughter and threatening us both if the order of things changed again! It did change again of course next day and the next day and the next day – I think today we call it resilience!

Burglars will come later
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

14-05-2015, 01:47 PM

The ‘Ma and Da’ that’s real Dublin talk Gumbud, but I think that’s where we got our accent from-Liverpool, lots of words we say are similar, boook never buck, skoo-el for school etc. there used to be a trick question doing the rounds in pubs years ago and I was caught out meself on it, “Where is the nearest city to Dublin?” the answer is Liverpool, most folks start to go west inland or south and say Waterford, not a bit of it as miles go Liverpool is nearest.
We used to envy all the kids over there playing on the bombed sites, we would see it on Pathe News in the picture house. “Jaysus they must find great things in all that rubble” all so innocent of the horrors of war.

Page 40 of 58 « First < 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top