Join for free
Page 41 of 49 « First < 31 39 40 41 42 43 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 08:37 AM

Re: Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 3)

You should not drink and drive.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
You should not drink and drive.
Shouldn't that be 'You should not drink and DIVE'
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Shouldn't that be 'You should not drink and DIVE'
Yes that as well.
Or use machinery.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 12:32 PM

I agree whenever I drive and drink my cup spilleth over - the cold drinks are OK but the hot ones do burn a bit - like having sex with a fiery queen [in the old world term of queen please!]
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 04:29 PM

Talking about drinking.
This is a very old Dublin song about a lady who was over fond of a drink, it was most unusual for a woman to enter a public house unaccompanied in those days, I didn’t know this till recently but the “Heart of the Rowl” mentioned refers to the very centre of a roll of tobacco, the best part, when Tobacco used to come off the ships in rolls to be processed at either of the two big Wills Imperial Tobacco factories in the city, I believe they were very good employers to their workers. The expression simply meant you are the best. I’m afraid I don’t know the writer to credit him/her, but the Dubliners sing it and it’s on youtube if you want to hear it.

DICEY REILLY

Oh poor old Dicey Reilly, she has taken to the sup
And poor old Dicey Reilly, she will never give it up
It's off each morning to the pop that she goes in
for another little drop
But the heart of the rowl is Dicey Reilly

She will walk along Fitzgibbon Street with an independent air
And then its down by Summerhill, and as the people stare
She'll say, "It's nearly half passed one
Time I went in for another little one
Now at two, pubs close and out she goes as happy as a lark
She'll find a bench to sleep it off at St. Patrick's Park
She'll wake at five feeling in the pink
And say, "Tis time for another drink

Now she'll travel far to a dockside bar to have another round
And after one or two or three she doesn't feel quite so sound
After four she's a bit unstable
After five underneath the table

Oh they carry her home at twelve o'clock as they do every night
Bring her inside, put her on the bed and then turn out the light
Next morning she'll get out of bed
And look for a cure for her head
But the heart of the rowl is Dicey Reilly.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 09:56 PM

the snug bar comes to mind - my grandmother and her sister used to 'pop' down once a week as if breakin the law!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 10:45 PM

@ 17 years old, some of my mates had the urge to visit the "Snug", what the hell was wrong with them when, all the Birds were in the Lounge next door?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:17 PM

I used to go regularly to my local pubTHE ICE HOUSE after the youth club finished for the night, I was 16 or 17 but looked much older.
On my 18th birthday I celebrated at the ICE HOUSE, I ignored the rebuffs from the old gits in the corner and sat in one bloke’s seat when he went for a pee.
Worse still I won the meat draw. I was young, I didn’t care.

Many years later I went on a working men’s club coach outing to Weymouth, and won the meat draw for the 2nd time in my life. This was midday & the coach didn’t leave until. 5pm I trawled the shopping centre dripping blood from the pathetic carrier bag supplied.
I don’t expect many of you to know what a meat draw is & I shan’t tell you
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:31 PM

Yes, I know, getting a prize in a carrier bag was a night wasted.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

22-11-2015, 03:10 AM

Dreams funny things heh –like out of this world, on your own film set, brief and intense and then gone!

As I catnapped this morning I drifted into a light sleep and had a dream

I was in a city meeting people, some friends I knew, others strangers and a lovely girl. I say girl rather than lady, as she seemed to be no older than 18. I was meeting all these male characters in a large hotel within a shopping mall. It could have been New York, Hong Kong any large city. We were arranging meetings to discuss and develop workshops, [my trade in life] and then there appeared out of nowhere this ‘girl’. She didn’t have a name but who cared she didn’t need one. We where in a room with an old Asian friend chatting to him as he shaved, we were obviously heading out somewhere. And there she was standing beside me just watching him shave and listening to our chatter. I can’t remember when I lightly placed my right arm on her shoulder but there it was resting lightly, as we both looked into the mirror and I chatted. She remained silent.

And as his shave was coming to an end it happened – I may have increased my pressure on her shoulder slightly or she may have just leaned in towards me, but it happened – it was a casual but clearly determined hug which we both participated in. That was the magic moment and I had a chance briefly a little later to tell her so and then as I stood their clutching her she disappeared and I awoke.

Robert I need a lilting poem!!

Page 41 of 49 « First < 31 39 40 41 42 43 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top