Join for free
Page 45 of 63 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 > Last »
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 06:59 PM

Re: Film - the most recent you have seen?

Effie Gray - story of one of the Pre Raphaelite girls, married off to a dude who couldn't stand the sight of her, wouldn't go near her, & one of the first women to obtain a divorce in Victorian England, which took a lot of guts. Went on to marry the brilliant artist John Millais & have loads of kids

Ex Machina - loved it, plenty to think about - all the brainy bods thinks AI is a serious threat & this film shows it well I thought , intriguing & gripping.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 07:10 PM

Hi Jodie! I LOVED Effie Gray, I found it quite captivating. Emma T was so lovely to her, husband unbelievably unkind. What gorgeous photography too, couldn't fault it.
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 07:25 PM

I just wished they'd gone on to show what a happy life she had after she got rid of that awful guy & hooked up with Millais, the film sort of ended only half way thru the story.

They went on to have 8 kids. This wellknown painting is their grandson
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 07:29 PM

I didn't know that. But what an insight into the ghastly lives some women endured in those days with no rights and so on.
I love that painting, had no idea he was their grandson, they should've added a PostScript to the film!
jodie
UK

28-06-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I didn't know that. But what an insight into the ghastly lives some women endured in those days with no rights and so on.
I love that painting, had no idea he was their grandson, they should've added a PostScript to the film!
Yup they shd have added a summary of what happened to the 3 main characters. Ruskin had a long career, but never had another relationship tho seems he had a passion for naked little girls .. no wonder he couldn't handle a grown woman! Millais painted Ephie in the "order of release" ... gotta find a pic..
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

29-06-2015, 10:48 AM

Helluva shock often for both sexes on the wedding night. But whereas many women endured and " thought of England" a man could just walk off in disgust like Ruskin did.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 01:10 PM

Watched "Never let me go" last night - beautifully acted - but seriously weird!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334260/
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

29-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Watched "Never let me go" last night - beautifully acted - but seriously weird!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334260/
I found it to be the most seriously depressing story I'd ever come across.
Felt like slitting my wrists after watching it!
It upset me for weeks afterwards.
Seriously grim and unsettling. Shudder...

Having said that, the year he wrote the story I believe was the year of the first clone, Dolly, remember? His inspiration I suppose?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 02:23 PM

I agree with you both

I thought Carey Mulligan was absolutely transfixing but I found the plot and the story as acted truly depressing and remember using the 'slitting my wrists' phrase to my niece when I was describing it to her. I too felt 'affected' for a good while after; is that a sign of a great film?

I haven't read the book - perhaps that would help make the story more acceptable?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

29-06-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
I agree with you both

I though Carey Mulligan was absolutely transfixing but I found the plot and the story as acted truly depressing and remember using the 'slitting my wrists' phrase to my niece when I was describing it to her. I too felt 'affected' for a good while after; is that a sign of a great film?

I haven't read the book - perhaps that would help make the story more acceptable?
Yes I guess it is the sign of a good film/book/show that it stays with you for weeks afterwards.
I could've done without that in this instance though!
But I agree the acting was superb if harrowing.
No way am I ever going near the book!!

Page 45 of 63 « First < 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top