Join for free
Page 49 of 79 « First < 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 10:17 PM

Re: Murder by Police - George Floyd

It seems that they have gotten what they want. It seems that the violence has led to change. It always does, that's why peaceful demos are always ignored. He who shouts loudest etc.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Bakerman, I am quite sure many DO agree with the hi-lighted part of your post, so please don't under estimate our intelligence.

I imagine what most of us are NOT agreeing with, is the way violent demonstrators are dealing with it, which is not an intelligent way of getting what they want.
All they will achieve is even worse alienation.

Can you not see that?
Yes, of course I see that. I completely agree with what you say about rioters alienating people. I never suggested otherwise.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, of course I see that. I completely agree with what you say about rioters alienating people. I never suggested otherwise.

In that case we agree.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It seems that they have gotten what they want. It seems that the violence has led to change. It always does, that's why peaceful demos are always ignored. He who shouts loudest etc.
Exactly. The media do not show the religious leaders, especially the Catholic clergy who are kneeling in prayer, or the Pope who praised the American clergy.
The media are interested in gaining high ratings, and thus they try to make a big splash by mostly showing rioters.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Change? You mean the destruction of various statues?

Not a change that the majority of us want.
bakerman
Mexico

10-06-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Change? You mean the destruction of various statues?

[B]Not a change that the majority of us want.[/B[
Then it bloody well should be what the majority want.

I see absolutely no reason to glorify anyone who made tens of millions (in todays dollars) by buying, transporting and selling human beings.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 12:15 AM

No one glories statues Bakerman they are just statues part of history are you advocating tearing down the Whitehouse wasn’t that built by slave labour as were lots of other historic buildings.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 12:43 AM

Hi

Peaceful demonstrations are fine, they are our right, one of our basic rights in a Democracy.

Banning them is the first step towards Totalitarianism.

Unfortunately they are too often taken over by idiots and troublemakers.

This results in attacks on the emergency services, not just the Police, but Ambulance and Fire Brifade staff.

Pritti Patel has just announced plans to double the sentences on those who attack the Police.

This is pathetic.

We should go much further.

It should include all the emergency services and those convicted should have all their benefits stopped and those not on benefits should be made to pay full costs of any medical treatment they or the emergency services require.

Hit them in their pockets

We should not be subsidising pillocks.

It should not be Crime does not Pay, it should be Crime Costs.
bakerman
Mexico

11-06-2020, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No one glories statues Bakerman they are just statues part of history are you advocating tearing down the Whitehouse wasn’t that built by slave labour as were lots of other historic buildings.

Oops. We disagree ,again.

Statues are erected for the glorification of heroes. For example: Lord Nelson of Trafalgar, Sir Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton, Florence Nightingale, Charles Darwin, Richard The Lion Heart, Captain James Cook, Alfred The Great, Sir Winston Churchill, T.E. Lawrence, James Watt, William Wallace, need I go on ? Does Edward Colston belong in such hallowed company ? Or should he be relegated to the trash bin of history ?

The simple fact that the statue of Edward Colston is/was on public display is a direct insult to any black person, and in my opinion, should be morally reprehensible to anyone, white or black.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Oops. We disagree ,again.

Statues are erected for the glorification of heroes. Lord Nelson at Trafalgar for example. Others include: Sir Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton, Florence Nightingale, Charles Darwin, Richard The Lion Heart, Sir Winston Churchill, T.E. Lawrence, James Watt, William Wallace, need I go on ? Does Edward Colston belong in such hallowed company ? Or should he be relegated to the trash bin of history ?

The simple fact that the statue of Edward Colston is/was on public display is a direct insult to any black person, and in my opinion, should be morally reprehensible to anyone, white or black.
Hi

Following your logic we blow up Mount Rushmore.

George Washington owned slaves.

Page 49 of 79 « First < 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top