Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Irene
Stafford, England
Irene is female  Irene has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Re: Oh No! Bowel Screening...

I did the deed as suggested in the accompanying info. Received a letter in due course. reassuring me that all was well.

My advice would be to follow the suggestions in the info. It really is not too bad. Just get it over with and be reassured.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I can't bear the thought of doing it ... so never have and never will
That is entirely your choice, whether to do a simple test once every five years, or end up like me with a bag of shit permanently attached to one's abdomen. Having to empty that half a dozen times a day and twice during the night. Also having to plan ahead when going out anywhere, ensuring one has the necessary supplies and knowing where the disabled toilets are - they have washing facilities in the cubicle!

Hey though, at least I am still alive to draw others attention to the consequences of bowel cancer.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
That is entirely your choice, whether to do a simple test once every five years, or end up like me with a bag of shit permanently attached to one's abdomen. Having to empty that half a dozen times a day and twice during the night. Also having to plan ahead when going out anywhere, ensuring one has the necessary supplies and knowing where the disabled toilets are - they have washing facilities in the cubicle!

Hey though, at least I am still alive to draw others attention to the consequences of bowel cancer.
Well said.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->

You have my sympathy and I appreciate what you are saying ... I know I should do the test ... but I just can't
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 10:15 PM

You have my sympathy and I appreciate what you are saying ... I know I should do the test ... but I just can't
I'll do it for you, Myrtle.

Er, no I won't.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Er, no I won't.
Yuk !!! Stop it !!!
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 02:28 PM

I think it is wonderful that these tests (life saving) are offered totally free of charge, and find it quite incredible than anyone should fail to take advantage.
However, I do want to take small issue with the way that being an ileostomist is put over as something that is dreadful.
I had my ileostomy when I was 49 years old (some 27 years ago), as my Ulcerative Colitus was starting to show signs of turning cancerous. I had spent a disastrous ten years trying to control this UC with medication, virtually lost that ten years, as I was so ill for so much of the time.
The ileostomy is obviously not something I would have desired to have, but once I did recover from the rather traumatic circumstances of the op (which became four ops and a week in ICU), probably nearly a year to recover. But then, I found I could do so many things which for so long I had been unable to do. I began to live properly again, and have continued to do so. Very much regret not having the ileostomy much sooner. Yes, I do have to get up two or three times each night to empty the bag, but then also do so to enter my bladder. Whereas I prefer to use loos for the disabled do not have to do so.
I find it worrying that anyone who may be requiring an permanent ileostomy should be put off by negative comments about living with one. Having spent several years on the committee of the local Ileostomy Association - I know how people of all ages live perfectly normal and happy lives after this op.
If any of you know anyone to whom this op. is suggested, I would ask that you contact their local Ia who can send a trained 'visitor' to see the patient to explain how living with it afterwards is perfectly fine. Indeed, I suspect that many of you may actually know ileostomists, without knowing they are so. Most of us do not mention this except to close friends and family. When I was working, I was actually told off by my line manager for NOT having said anything as it was said that I would have ticked off one of the boxes on their medical equality lists.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Myrtle you've had sex, given birth at least twice, and have grandchildren...so you've become accustomed to poo over the years, surely!!!!!
What in heaven's name are you so afraid of?

If my mother reacted like you, I'd say for god's sake mum don't be so ridiculous, I'll do it for you!!!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think, l was about 53 when the first kit arrived. It came back unclear and I cried every day until l got the all clear.

I had eaten black pudding which gave the unclear result.
Bloody black pudding, eh .....

Originally Posted by summer ->
I thought the Bowel testers had it in for me, I have just received my fourth test to do.

They must like my poo
I've that there are people like that ..... here comes one now .....

Originally Posted by JBR ->
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk

05-08-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Myrtle you've had sex, given birth at least twice, and have grandchildren...so you've become accustomed to poo over the years, surely!!!!!
What in heaven's name are you so afraid of?

If my mother reacted like you, I'd say for god's sake mum don't be so ridiculous, I'll do it for you!!!
Had sex ???!!! Wash your mouth out !!!! Both my children were found on my doorstep

I doubt if my daughter would offer her services

And as far as changing nappies is concerned with both my children and grandchildren I retched continuously !!!! And if I see dog poo ... don't even go there

My daughter's asked me to dog sit for a week in October but she has had to arrange with her friend to deal with "you know what"

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top