Join for free
Page 5 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Re: Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
it's true ... I've got limited memory and speed now and can't be doing with trying to second guess Microsoft.
Having mulled it all over .. I've stopped the automatic updates ... a simple solution for a simple pig.

Exciting? Get away with ya .. you cheeky hunk.
With all this ferreting about I've discovered stuff in my laptops innards I never knew existed ... and don't wanna know about.
I did read somewhere online whilst exhausting my pea brain over this that Microsoft have currently got it installed on 300 million computers globally .. and the hard sell is to fulfil their ambition of having it on one billion by 2 to 3 years from it's launch.
And .. it will only continue to be a free download until July 29th, which is the first anniversary of its launch.
After that . everyone who accepted the free original version is to be offered a free download for the next batch of improvements.
There's something to look forward to.
God, I love this forum........such interesting folk........
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I also preferred XP but when you but a new lap top or pc, you don't get to choose what operating system you get.

Personally I never allow any updates apart from anti virus. What the hell can they be improving constantly? Apple updates are the worst. Just a sure fire way of losing all your music.
This is true for most but not for me. I usually go to a local computer builder, get it built to requirements and buy an installation disk as an extra. I can choose which OS I want. I'd recommend this way of buying a computer.

They install the OS from the disk for test purposes but most often, I end up installing it again myself. It might be thought that I own the software because of this but I don't. I only own the licence to run it and that applies to everybody running Windows software, whatever the version. In that respect we are all owned by Microsoft ..if you want to think like that. See Number 8 in the PDF linked to below. Read the whole lot to see how free you really are.

https://www.strath.ac.uk/media/ps/it...4539ec1090.pdf

Install Linux if you actually want to own an operating system.

Regarding updates, some trust does have to be given. No trust of course means no updates allowed by the user. Fair enough. However, I take the view that it was Microsoft who built the operating system and not me. On balance, I have to judge that Microsoft are far more likely than me to know what their operating system needs, so I allow updates. I have only rarely suffered because of this. Microsoft have been known to supply a duff update from time to time but those are usually soon rectified.

There are places where the updates are listed for those who want to find them. True that the information has to be believed though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 10:39 PM

I have decided I am not going to upgrade to W10, I have got everything set up how I want it and can't be bothered with the hassle of doing it all again .

I appreciate my current system won't be supported indefinitely
but I am in line for another laptop from my 'tame supplier' in a couple of years and will manage till then.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have decided I am not going to upgrade to W10, I have got everything set up how I want it and can't be bothered with the hassle of doing it all again .

I appreciate my current system won't be supported indefinitely
but I am in line for another laptop from my 'tame supplier' in a couple of years and will manage till then.
In which case you'll have to have W10 whether you like it or not!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2016, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes Meg will JBR, but her new machine will be faster with a larger capacity and more capable at running more advanced operating systems. You wouldn't try and fit a Ferrari engine into a Ford Focus would you?
Interesting concept though.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That will be fine JBR it won't conflict with any existing programmes and my son can just copy the things I want over.

Normally if a major change is to made my son saves my stuff then wipes my computer and reinstalls everything from scratch but he is too busy to ask at the moment and I don't trust myself to carry out such a major operation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Actually, all this complaining about Windows 10 suggests it's something to be avoided at all costs. It isn't. I have it and, apart from getting used to some differences in appearance, etc, it is not half bad. In fact, I have made mine look very much like Windows 7, which I am used to.

Also, as far as I am aware, Windows 10 doesn't need much more disc space than Windows 7, and if your present machine runs W7 I am sure it will run W10 just as well if not slightly faster.

The one complaint I do agree with is that the system keeps nagging at you to upgrade, and it does beg the question as to why Microsoft are so keen on everyone adopting W10. Microsoft shouldn't have done that as it does seem to annoy many people. However, as we can all read above, there are simple methods of overcoming that.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
(make sure you sign the cheque to Oldgreyfox Realist)
Yep we don't ask much. Just ten bob and a chocolate watch.

Failing that a nice cup of tea and a slice of bakewell tart will do nicely.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-05-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yep we don't ask much. Just ten bob and a chocolate watch.

Failing that a nice cup of tea and a slice of bakewell tart will do nicely.
There will always be a cup of tea and a piece of cake here for you Realist.....By the way, it's a good job it's an over fifties forum else nobody would know what 'Ten Bob' was.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
There will always be a cup of tea and a piece of cake here for you Realist.....By the way, it's a good job it's an over fifties forum else nobody would know what 'Ten Bob' was.
Some of us are old enough to know what a groat is.

Page 5 of 20 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top