Join for free
Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:42 PM

Re: Dead Men Walking

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Well said it was an emotive title anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32491980
Just to point out my retort about the emotive title was to the other thread that has now been merged with this topic.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:43 PM

I feel very sorry for their families, and hope now it's over they can find some peace with it all.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I very much like the attitude in Norway where no sentence for anything is longer than 21 years. Well done them, there are civilised countries in the world.
No sentence longer than 21 years for the criminal but possibly a lifetime sentence for the victims.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:42 PM

Too late now. Good riddance!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I feel very sorry for their families, and hope now it's over they can find some peace with it all.
Yes, that's the toughest part of all this. The traffickers may deserve the punishment but that doesn't mean that their families do.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:26 PM

The Australian Federal Police have blood on their hands this morning with the murder of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran by firing squad in Indonesia this morning.

The Federal Government is pondering its options in the wake of the reported execution of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran by the Indonesian government this morning.

Earlier, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop described Indonesia's treatment of Chan and Sukumaran and their families as "ghastly" and said there would be consequences if they were executed.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
No sentence longer than 21 years for the criminal but possibly a lifetime sentence for the victims.
Is it made any better by giving two families a life sentence?

Watch it all!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 11:57 PM

the Australian Federal Police, as Bruce has pointed out tipped off their Indonesian counterparts about these guys taking drugs OUT of Indonesia. They had a legal choice to allow them to return to OZ and arrest them at entry point, where they would have been dealt with by OZ law. They were not introducing drugs INTO Indonesia but removing them.

The AFP knew the consequences of their decision and this is how they chose to dealt with two of their own citizens. Yes they have blood on their hands and are avoiding any contact or questions by the OZ media.

Indonesia goes into bat for their own citizens sentenced to death in other coiuntries - this is hypocritical to say the least. Judiciaries in many parts of Asia or known to take bribes or backhanders - I lived in Thailand once where you could always get away from police arrests by producing your wallet.

The previous President of Indonesia was a wiser and much more clement person. This one is fighting for his political career and has to appease his backers.

If I overdose on my prescription pills my doctor is not arrested and charged it is my fault for deciding to overdose.

I hear a lot of non-compassionate people baying on this thread - shame on you for belonging to a country that long ago gave up the death sentence for very good reasons - IT DOESN'T WORK!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2015, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
And how much compassion do Chan and Sukumaran have in their hearts?
Chan had become an ordained minister of religion, Sukumaran was teaching inmates painting skills whilst also becoming qualified himself - after 10 yrs in prison IMO they had developed compassion for their fellow men and women - you obviously haven't been following the story very closely.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

29-04-2015, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
they will never find peace - that's naive to say the least

Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top