Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 10:56 AM

Re: Wood saws

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Fancy giving your leg away, nee wonder you keep falling over ya daft ha`peth.
S'aw right Nom ( see what I did there ) the person I gave it to made me a wooden one, it goes well with me eye patch and parrot, ooo arrrrr it do Nom lad!
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2017, 10:01 PM

There are basically 2 types of saw
A rip saw for cutting along the grain and a cross cut saw for cutting across the grain.
It rather sounds like your saw has insufficient "set" .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 06:20 PM

Thank you Tregonsee, sorry for delay in replying.

Well, I am hopeful this saga will now draw to a close.

This afternoon I popped into B & Q to look for a new saw.
I was still confused by what was written on them, still didn't know how to tell if my wood was soft or hard - how am I supposed to know that for heaven's sake! Wood just looks like wood to me.

Anyhow, after a while, I thought it best to ask someone instead of buying another wrong one, so proceeded to waylay a bearded gentleman who was nearby scrutinising the hand tools.
I explained what happened with the previous one and he seemed to study me before replying "It's not the saw - it's you!" Flippin' cheek!! He said the best thing to do was to grease the blade by rubbing a candle along it.
I thanked him, inwardly thinking what a fat lot of help he was, and turned away.

Meantime I went outside and was looking for some sort of clue to tell me whether the lengths of wood for sale were 'hard' or 'soft.'
I spotted another chap and thought I would ask him if he knew.
This man started waving his arms about rather excitedly and said "I no speak English!"
Things weren't going too well.

Eventually I took a length of wood, and went back to where the saws were and spotted a third 'victim."
I showed him my bit of wood and asked if the saw I had in my hand by then, would cut it - simple enough question to me.
He grinned - at least this one seemed more amiable.
He said couldn't my husband have bought one for me, it might have been simpler. Cheeky monkey.

"But will this one do the job or won't it?" I asked.
He said it would. Success.
I told him if it didn't . . I would come and find him, but he insisted it would be fine and gave me a very nice smile.

I am now back home, with my bit of wood and a nice new saw which I intend to try out tomorrow. Wish me luck.
What a palaver.

Oh, I forgot to tell you. They didn't sell me wheel brace.
Look like I shall be using the one with the dodgy handle for a bit longer.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 08:58 PM

"so proceeded to waylay a bearded gentleman ..."
Did you get his phone number????
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 09:06 PM

Hi

Mups, hard wood is easy to identify.

It has tattoos on it.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 09:14 PM

I always prefer to use hand tools but I must say that when I did my decking, the electric saw thingy (jig saw?) really came into its own.

Pretty scary to start with (yes I had used it years ago) but it would have taken me days to saw through all the stuff by hand.

Mups, we want pictures
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
"so proceeded to waylay a bearded gentleman ..."
Did you get his phone number????

Of course.

Will PM you with it later.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-06-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Mups, hard wood is easy to identify.

It has tattoos on it.

You are about as much help as the foreign man I spoke to!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-06-2017, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I always prefer to use hand tools but I must say that when I did my decking, the electric saw thingy (jig saw?) really came into its own.

Pretty scary to start with (yes I had used it years ago) but it would have taken me days to saw through all the stuff by hand.

Mups, we want pictures

I have much admiration for you Rachel. I could never do anything like that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 08:24 AM

What are you making or repairing Mups?

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top