Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 11:16 AM

Re: Budget 2012

Val darlin' the 40p tax rate is NOT a threshold but a scale - That idiot Osborne reduced the higher scale of 50p to one of only 45p thus saving Cameron and Osborne's cronies something like £3.5 Billion.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 11:31 AM

UJ there is a threshold for the 40% rate ie up to a certain annual salary you pay 20% tax and after that 40% until you reach the sort of salary which was 50% and is now 45%. I can't remember what the threshold amounts are right now. What I am saying is that the threshold for paying 40% tax is too low for London salaries and there should be an inner threshold where you wuld pay say 30% tax. It won't happen though and at any rate I plan to retire in 2 years so will just have to grin and bear it til then. A £50,000 salary in London for example is quite common these days and should not incur 40% tax when we have to pay a lot of money to actually get to work.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 01:06 PM

I have every sympathy for you Val; housing in London has always been expensive, that is why a lot of jobs have a London weighting on them to help offset higher costs. I am London born and still have a hankering for the place, although I know how much higher the cost of living is. However, jobs and oppportunities are also more abundant than they are in other parts of the country.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I have every sympathy for you Val; housing in London has always been expensive, that is why a lot of jobs have a London weighting on them to help offset higher costs. I am London born and still have a hankering for the place, although I know how much higher the cost of living is. However, jobs and oppportunities are also more abundant than they are in other parts of the country.
Yes thats true and I have a lot to be thankful for when others are struggling, I do realise that. Only 2 years to go then its off to Norfolk for me and leave London behind me for ever. Can't wait.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Talking of the cost of getting to and from work in London, what about those rural communities where people often have to travel long distances to get to work? With the cost of petrol ever increasing, I suspect they pay similar amounts, if not more, than those in London.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 05:57 PM

When I was working it was the workers getting the worst of it, Now I've retired it's the Seniors who're being hit.....I just can't win.......Budgets paah
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Val darlin' the 40p tax rate is NOT a threshold but a scale - That idiot Osborne reduced the higher scale of 50p to one of only 45p thus saving Cameron and Osborne's cronies something like £3.5 Billion.
The 50p rate as brought in just days before the last election for purely political purposes and nothing to do with economics. It was always known that the measure would not bring in more revenue but was just another predictable act of political spite from a party which knows nothing else.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Dennis Skinner is right!!! - if he had his way (and mine) tax for the 'filthy rich' would be not 45% but 90%!!!
Jealousy always shows through when someone is under pressure.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2012, 07:25 AM

As I said Rena, we could argue Taxation till the cows come home and get nowhere as it is how a person interpets the system.

NO pensioner is going to have less cash than they normally would from a government pension due to the freezing of age allowance.

The government pension is not a fixed income and rises do happen.

People on fixed incomes who do not get the government pension due to opting out of the system tend to be far better off financially than the average O.A.P.

I then blame them for not forseeing future financial crises and taking the easiest returns on their investments.

As for squirrelling away money, it is not just the rich who do it, that system is open to everyone, I have done it myself in the past, they say Lichtenstein quite profitable.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2012, 09:33 AM

You are right AB we could argue taxation adinfinitum and it's a lovely day so I'm off out down the woods and fields with my dog in a minute. You mentioned your Lichtenstein ventures before and there has been something in the news recently, but I am sure the conservatives won't be closing all the tax haven loopholes. Best wishes

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top