Join for free
Page 6 of 161 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Re: Birds

Originally Posted by Nom ->
A few more weeks and we may start to see Waxwings visiting the UK, some years they come in thousands.

Beautiful Nom
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Nom, I don't think you grasped my meaning about the survival of the injured geese...anytime after mid October winter can hit with the pond frozen solid, the grass covered with snow. Sub zero temperatures. There are coyotes here, and dogs that they will have to fight off. I doubt they have any chance to survive without help..but it is illegal to feed them in public places.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2014, 10:28 PM

I have just looked through the whole thread. Such beautiful photo's of birds, drawings too they are all lovely. to the photographers/artists.

Here are some of my modest shots.
Dappled Robin. I liked the way the sunlight shone on him/her through the leaves.

Female & Male Blackcaps, we get these as Winter visitors & very rarely get both together on the bird table. Taken through the double glazed sun lounge window.

Goldfinch.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2014, 08:06 AM

Great set Tiffany, i still have not photographed Blackcaps, on my hit list.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ShirleyMarie ->
Nom, I don't think you grasped my meaning about the survival of the injured geese...anytime after mid October winter can hit with the pond frozen solid, the grass covered with snow. Sub zero temperatures. There are coyotes here, and dogs that they will have to fight off. I doubt they have any chance to survive without help..but it is illegal to feed them in public places.
No i did grasp your meaning Shirley, i see many injured birds during the course of my surveys, sadly its nature in the raw, weather and predators do thin the ranks often by taking easy prey. Some do survive despite all, but often not.

Man can intervene ive seen plenty of evidence of this over the years, the bird could be taken into care by a wildlife sanctuary or perhaps the damage could be repaired, its a question of if the will is there .

Its hard not to be sentimental about such things, but its totally understanding to feel that way.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

28-09-2014, 09:12 AM

A very sad looking Herring gull with a deformed bill on the Isle of Mull.

However it held territory near the local Chip shop, and patrons seeing it made sure it was well fed, showing how adaptive birds can be to ensure their survival.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Great set Tiffany, i still have not photographed Blackcaps, on my hit list.
Thank you Nom. That is the only pic I've managed to get of the two together, usually the female guards the bird table from all comers, she a feisty thing & her mate feeds from the bird feeders a bit down the garden.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Robin.

Todays effort, mix of pencils and watercolour pencils.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 12:49 PM

So lovely Nom ......
Well done Tiffany - I'm so chuffed there are so many bird lovers here .......
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

01-10-2014, 01:32 PM

Lovely, Nom.
Thank you Patsy.

Page 6 of 161 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top