Join for free
Page 6 of 25 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 01:53 PM

Re: Doctors - do you trust them?

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I am not familiar with the British model of healthcare, but here no one is forced to do anything.. that includes following medical advise.. I've never heard of anyone being sued for not following advise. Only perhaps if a child was involved and the parents refused lifesaving treatments. An adult can do as they please.
Not here, my poor old granddad didn't want to even go to hospital he and we knew it was the end, could he stay at home ? no they insisted he didn't understand and took him anyway, another 5 days of hell for him and he understood alright he was bright as a button right up to the end brain was working fine.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not here, my poor old granddad didn't want to even go to hospital he and we knew it was the end, could he stay at home ? no they insisted he didn't understand and took him anyway, another 5 days of hell for him and he understood alright he was bright as a button right up to the end brain was working fine.
Now that is one of my pet peeves with the medical profession, particularly in the hospital. That being that the elderly are just assumed to be demented and senile and not understanding what they are being told. I have seen that thousands of times in my career. Some elderly person is being advised of a procedure and the children are called to give consent, and her wishes are ignored. WHY? No one better call my kids for consent on what is being done to me if I am able to give it myself.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
No not at all - we pay for the NHS remember, we have every right to be critical of it and want it to be fit for purpose - which many of us believe it currently is not.

Also, I don't think your patronising remark reflects well on you, or the industry you work in.
And I also don't think your patronising and personal insult
towards me reflects well on you as admin of a forum.

Attack the ball not the player....

Edited to add......these are your own words Azz.....quote..." I do draw the line at personal remarks being posted on the public forums.."..unquote.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 02:36 PM

I have a excellent doctor and yes I do trust them.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
But stevmk2 you have just recently entrusted your good lady wife into the hands of the medical profession and their anaesthesia team and the drugs needed throughout the whole procedure and now you say you don't trust them.
A good point Pats!

I've had bad experiences with doctors in the past - mainly GPs I must add - and that's resulted in my lack of faith shall I say in certain members of the medical profession but equally I've also had bad experiences of the Police!

When I was in my teens I was still a very trusting person; many would say that I was naive and perhaps a little too trusting but it's how I was brought up.

My Dad believed anybody in uniform was to be trusted, and that, to him, included public employees like doctors, nurses, social workers etcetera but Pats, the medical profession let him down.

They promised me faithfully that he would be cared for and they'd find out what was causing his problems but in the end they did nothing and the parting shot to me, sitting at his deathbed years ago, was from his consultant.

He just said "Well, what do you expect with a chest like that?!" and stalked off.

All the people involved in my wife's hip operation at the hospital were very good, as was the paramedic that came out to us that time and I'm very grateful for that but much of what we were told would be explained to us regarding her recuperation at home just didn't happen.

No, I'm truly sorry Pats but I still find it very hard to trust anyone in the way that I once did. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 03:47 PM

I also remember being told by pats not to buy meds off the internet, without going to a GP how are we to get the drugs we need ? no choices at all IMO
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 04:03 PM

I also remember being told by pats not to buy meds off the internet, without going to a GP how are we to get the drugs we need ? no choices at all IMO
Julie...I advised that drugs shouldn't be bought off the internet.

If you don't go to a GP...then you self-prescribing....again is that wise?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Repeat prescriptions I have had for years and will never be off seems to me safe enough to assume I don't need a GPs say so. Besides at least one of my meds are now able to be bought off prescription, actually can be got much cheaper than the prescription cost. So if I ever stop getting the prepaid prescription card I will be sourcing them cheap as I can.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Repeat prescriptions I have had for years and will never be off seems to me safe enough to assume I don't need a GPs say so. Besides at least one of my meds are now able to be bought off prescription, actually can be got much cheaper than the prescription cost. So if I ever stop getting the prepaid prescription card I will be sourcing them cheap as I can.

Prescriptions are FREEfor those of us over 60 Julie darlin' - just hang in there!!!
Pats
Lincolnshire

26-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Repeat prescriptions I have had for years and will never be off seems to me safe enough to assume I don't need a GPs say so.
Don't you get an annual review of your meds Julie?

Page 6 of 25 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top