Join for free
Page 60 of 1676 « First < 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 160 560 1060 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2016, 11:20 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Fairplay to all the Plonkers out there, your day will come.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2016, 12:10 PM

Very interesting pots from the "old contemptibles".
Keep posting gents, this is my only spot on the internet I bother with now.

Some random thoughts, no change there then....

Luck, not a word I like to use given it's association with myth & magic and the rest.
Luck or Fortune is IMO a happy outcome only made possible
by a combination of PREPARATION & OPPORTUNITY. So it would be true to say someone makes his own luck.

more later
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2016, 01:15 PM

Always a pleasure to hear from you RJ, don't forget the more later bit.

You have made a sound point there Gumbud about luck and risk taking plus a devil may care attitude to life, my dear old Dad, Lord rest him, was always a jolly man, nicknamed “Cheerful” by his workmates, he had his share of bad luck too, contacting TB in his early thirties and given the last rites on three occasions, but he went on to outlive the doctors who said he was a goner, 94 he was when he passed away and enjoyed a smoke up to the end.
When he eventually went back to work after ten years of sickness they put him working repairing train wagons, one wagon was jacked up with a piece of wood and it cracked while he was working under it, he just got his head out in time when the wagon crashed down on his hand crushing two fingers, they managed to save one but he lost the other, as the wagon was not properly jacked up by his overseer he was awarded substantial damages, he used the money to invest in a bakery his cousin was setting up here in the city and did very well out of it, bad luck turned to good use you could say.
I loved and miss that old Dad of mine, me auld drinking buddy, never a dull moment with him, when I see some of todays moaning boring old gits up in the local I wonder will we ever see the likes of those jolly old men again, the latest crop of potential oldies are worse than ever before, maybe the government should introduce classes on how to curtail the moaning and grow old happily and gracefully.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Other people can bestow bad luck on others, see, I would not be working as hard as I have too at my time of life, if I had chosen, to stick to my career plan, I wanted to be a Rocket Scientist, but when I told my parents they went Ballistic.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2016, 03:45 PM

Thanks Jem, your dad sounds like a great bloke, not everyone can claim to have been best friends with their pater.

even more later
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

01-08-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Other people can bestow bad luck on others, see, I would not be working as hard as I have too at my time of life, if I had chosen, to stick to my career plan, I wanted to be a Rocket Scientist, but when I told my parents they went Ballistic.

Ballistic
Fired into the air
Fireworks
Rockets
Bangers
Catherine Wheels
STOP
CATHERINE WHEELS?

The story goes that CATHERINE wheels were named after the martyred St Catherine of Alexandra.
Dear Catherine was a pure chaste lady who dared criticise her superiors for their licentious behaviour and was put on the wheel to be broken to pieces, a dreadful death.

But as luck would have it ( I didn't write that) THe wheel exploded into flames, hence CATHERINE WHEEL.Catherine was saved, but beheaded later. (You can't win them all).

NB verily

"Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward."

Job 5.7
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

01-08-2016, 09:10 PM

Yes RJ, it comes from spending many years in a Tinderbox.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2016, 10:44 PM

Interesting bit of history there RJ, never knew that before.
We used to know a girl called Dinah when we were youths, we used to say Dinah might then again she might not, but she must have done eventually because she ran away with the breadmans son and came back two years later with twin baby boys.

I understand Spitty, my plans to be a brain surgeon went astray after I’d seen a bad car crash, I then discovered that not only had I not got the brains for the job but I hadn’t got the stomach either, I’m a bit like Doc Martin when it comes to blood and the little grey cells, naturally my parents were disappointed, all that time and money wasted attending Trinity College gone down the drain.
However I’m still secretly working on ‘Black Holes’ out in the shed, there’s money to be made on any breakthrough in that area, don’t tell anyone but as I lay out in the garden a few weeks ago under the clear sky I spotted a ‘Blue Hole’, five of them to be exact, two big ones and three little ones, I took snaps of them and sent them off to my mate Fergus Finnigan at NASA, naturally you can’t see anything in the snaps, but that won't stop the bold Fergus, they are there and he'll find them, your not supposed to see anything that’s the whole idea, if you can see a Black Hole then it is not a Black hole anymore, get it..
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2016, 11:08 PM

OK you've started it

there's a black hole in my bucket it
dear lisa dear lisa
a black hole in me bucket dear lisa and all
then fill it dear all, dear all, dear all
then fill it dear all, with blue holes doth fill it

where are the blue holes dear Jemology, dear Jemology
where are the blue holes dear Jemology dear Jem

well they're now in me box brownie, box brownie, box brownie
they're in the box brownie dear Lisa locked up

well can you unlock them dear jemmie dear jemmie
can you unlock them dear jemmie unlock

with what shall i unlock them dear lisa dear lisa
with what shall I unlock them dear jemmie unlock

with a jemmie dear lisa dear lisa dear lisa
with a jemmie dear lisa with a jemmie unlock

I don't have a jemmie a jemmie a jemmie
I don't have a jemmie dear jemmie a jem

cut intermizzio!!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 08:47 AM

OMG - his cup runneth over!!

In the blink of an eye

I was feeling rather lonely when I came into this world
Some bastard smacked me bottom and my pubic bone unfurled?

I kept me eyes shut tightly, there was too much shine outside
Then they nearly smothered me to death and gave me back to blushing bride

I kept sucking milky gobstoppers that made chocolate other end
Every day they tried to drown me but I survived the ‘bends’

The lens they got re-focused but all I saw were wooden legs
But at least the ground was stable until they said ‘now balance on them pegs’

Now balance is a funny thing is like draggin ballast ‘round
Ya wanna keep going forward but it drags ya to the ground

I wonder why it takes so long to get into full swing
Perhaps its walk before ya run and you won’t become unhinged?

I finally got me sea legs and it was 360 degrees around
Suddenly jet propelled up trees a new world I had found

This was the learning curve I learned about much later
Couldn’t get enough of it my cup was filled with data

What was the meaning of it all, as I swung from branch to branch
Don’t know; don’t care; there seems no end to this very merry dance!

And so – to be continued!

Page 60 of 1676 « First < 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 110 160 560 1060 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top