Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 11:01 AM

Re: How fast is your broadband?

Originally Posted by Azz ->
You can download the speedtest app for free Mart
Thanks Azz. I don't get to use the iPad much so didn't know that. The trouble is that Mrs mart might cast a wary look in my direction if I was to go installing apps on her iPad.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Thanks Azz. I don't get to use the iPad much so didn't know that. The trouble is that Mrs mart might cast a wary look in my direction if I was to go installing apps on her iPad.
You could tell her you want to check that things are as fast as possible for her

She might buy it

Tho tbh, I think speeds reported are generally slower on iOS devices, at least they are on my iPhone..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 09:28 AM

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3582535113

Pretty poor, huh? But then I do only pay £12.26 a month for mine, with Orange. If I knew whether or not I was staying in this flat (not likely) I would have had Infinity installed, or another faster service. But definitely if and when I move I will go for that option, rather that just the cheapest. So fed up of waiting for downloads.
Azz, this is obviously not working. How do I post the actual graphic? Thanks.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

24-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Hurrah. Should have read your instructions first!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 10:38 AM

That is quite slow Jazzi - I am not surprised you want something faster

I am surprised you are not getting faster speeds for £12 a month tbh - might be worth calling Orange and asking them why they are so slow?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Blimey it would be quicker to send a letter
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

24-06-2014, 02:57 PM

It's a nightmare when trying to install security suite software by download. I often lose the will to live.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 03:03 AM

Just as an aside - in my post of the WiFi speeds on my system (Click Here) I had speeds for both up and downloads of about 35Mbps

As a matter of interest I remembered I had a range extender in a box somewhere and they are supposed to half the speed of connection (because they have to receive and transmit the signal on the same frequency). So I set up this 54Mbps range extender and connected to that - the speeds slowed to less than 18Mbps. So if you are using a range extender and don't need it - ditch it - you will be much better off using an old wired WiFi router as a range extender.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

01-07-2014, 10:17 AM

Very quickly, I've disconnected the router from the extension lead and attached it to main socket, and downloaded speed checked on my iPad. Startling change in speeds.

Ping. 297 ms
DL. 0.25
UL. 0.20

Look at the difference in upload! My main problem is the BT socket is on the opposite side of the room to my Sky box, which needs a phone line and ethernet cable attachment.

In the middle is my modem, which is the original sent to me by Orange. I now realise that my router is a modem router, so later on will experiment by attaching all necessary cables to the router and bypassing the small modem. I will need to get longer cables though for the sky box.

Life would be simpler if I had a BT socket right by the TV ariel socket. My cable tv socket is there but I cancelled their phone line years ago. I have an extremely long cable from there through to the bedroom.

I can't take out any new contracts with phone/internet providers if I'm not sure of moving out, or when.

Is it worth (a) buying a new expensive modem router, and/or contacting Orange to ask if they can increase my speed, even ifit means upping the price? Or do you think because I have a modem router attached to a modem it might be slowing things down?

(I'll deal with that later...)

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top