Join for free
Page 768 of 1676 « First < 268 668 718 758 766 767 768 769 770 778 818 868 1268 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 01:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Ever notice in films when an actor is playing the part of a painter, and when the camera shows what he’s painting the painting is always finished and he just stands there fluting around with a dry brush on the canvass, who are they trying to fool, whenever I see this it sort of breaks the reality of the story for me and I realise he is only pretending, the whole idea of a good film is to make everything appear to be realistic.
Same with a sculptor working on a statue or a stonemason on a tombstone, he’s always on the very last letter, “here’s one I made earlier” springs to mind. Yes I know, I’ve little to be complaining about but you have to point things out to sort them out as they say. If an actor is going to play Michael Angelo he should at least take a few art lessons, and who knows he might even like it, just think of the great time Frank Finlay had practicing his role for Casanova.
I worked in a workshop in town and the boss had a wooden sculpture hanging above the workshop door, it was done by a well known artist from County Cork and it featured St. Joseph and the boy Jesus working in Joseph’s carpentry, Joseph was chiselling away at a block of wood while Jesus looked on. When he (the boss) was showing tourists around the workshop he would always point to the carving and say the same thing every time, he spent several years in the USA and had a slight American accent “Gee I’d never take on that Joseph guy and his son, they’ve been on that same piece of wood since I put them up there 10 years ago” Everyone of us sitting at the benches would groan out in slow harmony “Haw, haw, haw”
get off!!!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 04:03 PM

The thing is,Jem...do you REALLY want a full-screen cinematic close-up of Micky the Angel [as he's known in the 'hood] tapping away at David's erection with a little hammer???

Coz it used to be,y'know...until Micky the A whacked it with a hammer!
Apparently,that's where the phrase 'the hit' originated...just ask the boys...[that's them,over there...and there...oh and over there...]
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Jem talking of wood carvings, I have a story to tell.
Quite a few years back I made a TV series for a Japanese company.
The director was quite famous as he has made a few films, but he spoke no English, so we had a translator. The filming took place in Dorney, which was good for me, as I stayed with my Aunt in Windsor.
The majority of filming took place in this old Tudor Mansion, which was adapted to look the part. The Lord who owned this place and the land was really nice to me, he collected me each morning and took me to my Aunts each evening. I played the psychic Nella Jones, as it was the work she did with the police in helping capture the Yorkshire Ripper. Now I didn't know anything much about that case. So I was shocked!!!!
Anyway, in Tudor Times the gentry had their own churches, the church that was used for some other scenes was just unbelievable! The carvings were something that I had never come across before.
At the side of the altar, was this door, I wanted badly to know what was behind this door.
On the last day of filming, most of the crew had left, so I asked this Lord Whatever, what was behind the door.
He fetched a key and opened it just for me. I have never felt so overwhelmed by what I felt and saw in my life!
In those long bygone days, ladies lost so many children, it was tradition, I guess, to have a carving made of their little faces.
The whole room from floor to ceiling was adorned with carved wooden little faces. All those little ones that died!!!! I cried I can tell you.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 09:36 PM

A very interesting and unusual story Sweetie, I wouldn’t blame you crying, the loss of a child is probably the worst thing that can happen to someone in any time period.
I don’t live far from Dublin’s main cemetery and back in the 50’s at an early hour in the morning I would sometimes see the odd fella on a bicycle with a little cardboard box on the back carrier cycling to “The Angels Plot” to bury a born dead infant, of course I was a mere boy then and always wondered what they had in the boxes, I was shocked when I later found out, the infant mortality rate was high back then, thankfully not so now.

Gummy, the Queen was in yellow as you and I said, we both share the prize, your half a tea bag is on it’s merry way to you, enjoy!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I'm goin to stick a plaque on the Office, for the next owners, the readers will probably be scratching their heads, strange concept, to put so much in, knowing it isn't forever, not the first time though.
You could just carve a few words on it Spitty, something like “The last owner never cleaned his teeth…hence the plaque”
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
A very interesting and unusual story Sweetie, I wouldn’t blame you crying, the loss of a child is probably the worst thing that can happen to someone in any time period.
I don’t live far from Dublin’s main cemetery and back in the 50’s at an early hour in the morning I would sometimes see the odd fella on a bicycle with a little cardboard box on the back carrier cycling to “The Angels Plot” to bury a born dead infant, of course I was a mere boy then and always wondered what they had in the boxes, I was shocked when I later found out, the infant mortality rate was high back then, thankfully not so now.

Gummy, the Queen was in yellow as you and I said, we both share the prize, your half a tea bag is on it’s merry way to you, enjoy!
That is sad Jem. But I will not post sad again. We need to be happy.
Huh, trust Gummy to win!!!! If I had won, I would have sent you to Eddie Rocket's City Diner in O'Connell Street for a chocolate milkshake!!!! So think yourself lucky
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

19-06-2018, 09:47 PM

I'll guess she'll be wearing green tomorrow.

Yes that old boss of mine was a character, he was a Nordy from Newry and came from a very distinguished family up there, Philip were his name, rest his soul.

“Have ya heard of Phil the flutter from the town of Ballymuck
He hadn’t got a ha’penny and he didn’t give a… damn”
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 10:01 PM

Has the Scribbles Bar been raised? are the Steaks now to high???
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

19-06-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Has the Scribbles Bar been raised? are the Steaks now to high???
No just a change in posting style.
T-bone steaks are served at the Candy Bar
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
No just a change in posting style.
T-bone steaks are served at the Candy Bar
and fluzzeys in knickerbocker glories!!

now why didn't we think before - stories are one of RJ's favorite pursuit - perhaps he can be pursued in a purple open backed mazerrati??

Page 768 of 1676 « First < 268 668 718 758 766 767 768 769 770 778 818 868 1268 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top