Join for free
Page 8 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 11:39 PM

Re: No Foreigners

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Exactly Annie, and unless something is sorted out, they will all be in paupers graves too. Who will pay for their care in old age ? Maybe the retirement age will be extended so far by then, they'll die in employment. They won't be able to help their children or leave a Will worth anything. This is like a step back in time. 'Oliver' springs to mind. BUT , then we read this :
New data from Eurostat, the European statistics agency, shows a growing trend for large families.
I haven't read through this but this is the data source you're referring to I believe?

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist...ly_and_society

If some of us don't get a pension then what have we been paying for? It should be refunded. If nothing else to pay for a decent funeral! I don't mind working until I die if there are jobs for us post-baby boom oldies.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 11:39 PM

Apologies
Not read the whole of this thread but there are plenty of young people having children and living on benefits, because it's the way they've been brought up.

It's been ongoing for a decade or three as we know

lol .... not getting drawn into this one
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Apologies
Not read the whole of this thread but there are plenty of young people having children and living on benefits, because it's the way they've been brought up.

It's been ongoing for a decade or three as we know

lol .... not getting drawn into this one
perhaps but in the greater scheme of things there are not enough of these young people. There are many young people not having children ever.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't think it's purely finances that prevent people from having large families. Our individualist culture, a lack of value on the role of motherhood in itself, availability of contraception, abortion, men not wanting to be fathers and husbands, stds leading to infertility, or just infertility for no reason, a lack of jobs for life, people not settling down until they are almost at the end of the reproductive cycle, or marrying young but deciding to have a family when it's too late, no extended family, no reasonably priced childcare facilities, employers not valuing mothers, or fathers, post natal depression, etc. etc. Having a child is like a luxury these days. Not purely because of money but because of everything that you have to give up to have a child and because it's so difficult to manage parenthood in our culture of 24 hour working and playing.
I can't say I agree with a lot of this. The difference between a small family and a large family is undoubtedly one of money. Many of the reasons you mentioned would be totally offset should a woman decide not to work at all and just raise a family on her man's wage. How many in this day and age can do that? A couple can juggle life around 1-3 kids say, but only if they are earning a fair whack. Beyond this I should think it would become a nightmare in more ways than one should they both have to work full time. Of course raising wages for everyone would work too - or at least help, so maybe the blame should be laid at the government and their insistence on cheap foreign labour?

The whole economy now is based on EVERYONE working. It wasn't always so. It seems the emancipation of women has led us down an avenue that wasn't foreseen.

I wonder what the future holds? How about making 1000s of test tube babies and controlling their development so that they are only suitable to carry out certain jobs? Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Let's hope robotics helps us out first before we get to that point eh. It is either one of these or we keep importing millions of immigrants .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 11:52 PM

perhaps but in the greater scheme of things there are not enough of these young people. There are many young people not having children ever.
So be it

What is the optimum number of people (who work and don't live on benefits) to sustain our country?

Something is amiss
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

15-06-2017, 12:14 AM

I haven't read through this but this is the data source you're referring to I believe?

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist...ly_and_society

If some of us don't get a pension then what have we been paying for? It should be refunded. If nothing else to pay for a decent funeral! I don't mind working until I die if there are jobs for us post-baby boom oldies.
Hmmmm ... I don't get the point of paying lots for a funeral.
A complete rip off.

A bio-degradable bag would do wouldn't it?

Regarding State Pension: as I understood it, it depends on how many years one has paid NI contributions. If it's less than the required number of years, then there's some kind of top-up scheme.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:25 AM

Hmmmm ... I don't get the point of paying lots for a funeral.
A complete rip off.

A bio-degradable bag would do wouldn't it?
Oh, certainly not!

Biodegradable bags are expensive.

Just dump me in the ground, six feet under.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

15-06-2017, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, certainly not!

Biodegradable bags are expensive.

Just dump me in the ground, six feet under.
Oh

Old freebie newspapers ?

OK ... let's think this through like sensible people.

Burning is a def no no because of the pollution.

Newspapers wrapped around the corpse would need fixing with staples, glue or tape, so that's no good.

This brings us to papier mache ...

Bung a load of newspaper (or whatever junk mail you get) in a bucket of water) and when it's slightly mushy, wrap it around the body.

Being 'planted' standing up takes up less space
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:44 AM

Oh

Old freebie newspapers ?

OK ... let's think this through like sensible people.

Burning is a def no no because of the pollution.

Newspapers wrapped around the corpse would need fixing with staples, glue or tape, so that's no good.

This brings us to papier mache ...

Bung a load of newspaper (or whatever junk mail you get) in a bucket of water) and when it's slightly mushy, wrap it around the body.

Being 'planted' standing up takes up less space
No, no newspapers necessary, nor papier maché.

Bury me in my birthday suit; I want to be at one with the earth.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

15-06-2017, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No, no newspapers necessary, nor papier maché.

Bury me in my birthday suit; I want to be at one with the earth.
Ah yes ...

This has presented a few problems.

How do we get you there?

It would have to be one of those small tip-up truck things and you will need to be covered with a sheet, tarpaulin or something.

The truck would reverse, tip up and shoot you into the hole

yeah OK

Page 8 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top