Join for free
Page 81 of 274 « First < 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 181 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 04:23 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

No.618: “Scenes From The Southside” by Bruce Hornsby & The Range (1988)
The ever-talented Bruce Hornsby with his follow-up to the massive=selling 'The Way It Is' album. This is the best track on the album:

No.617: “Strong Persuader” by The Robert Cray Band (1985)
The perma-cool guitar legend's breakthrough album from his early days. Cray plays in the style of his mentor B.B. King and is still making fine music today.

Back tomorrow guys
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 06:30 PM

Few more for me to enjoy there Floydy, though im firmly Old Skool Progressive so early Yes and Genesis King Crimson and of course the Masters, Van der Graff Generator.

I always placed the Stranglers as wannabe Proggers,/ Doors, One of, the few bands from the punk era that made an impact on me.

I wil eventually add, that Johnny Cash set as i love the Americam Recordings series, inspired choices of tracks.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 09:16 PM

Apart from the Ramones nothing for me today
Blimey Floydy have you got a separate house to keep all this stuff.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Few more for me to enjoy there Floydy, though im firmly Old Skool Progressive so early Yes and Genesis King Crimson and of course the Masters, Van der Graff Generator.

I always placed the Stranglers as wannabe Proggers,/ Doors, One of, the few bands from the punk era that made an impact on me.

I wil eventually add, that Johnny Cash set as i love the Americam Recordings series, inspired choices of tracks.
Nice to see your favourites are within the prog rock era, Nom. Van Der Graaf generator I couldn't get into myself though.

The Stranglers are probably my favourite band of the late 70's era (I never classed them as punk; they were too good musicians for that). Brilliant and good fun live.

And Johnny cash...what can you say about the man? His legacy of recordings speak for themselves. You will enjoy the box set bud
Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Apart from the Ramones nothing for me today
Blimey Floydy have you got a separate house to keep all this stuff.
Can't please everyone all the time mate, but it's just the way the cookie crumbles; tomorrow you may find that classic album

Most of my stuff is now on MP3 on a single 2TB external hard drive unit, so my collection is really nothing bigger than a VHS tape! Still got piles of albums in the loft though.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 04:42 AM

Ooo, forgot about how good Cray was.

Hornsby is one of my absolute favorites and I would argue that his music has kind of a timeless feel to it because it's so unique.

There is something very Chesapeake Bay and unique sounding about him - this bluesy, folksy, rock, Mowtown thing all stirred up in a pot and poured out into his piano. Tall, he has a Rachmaninoff reach of the keys.

Plus he's one who can tell a big, poignant story in three short minutes, which I really like. He's superb live.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 05:18 AM

To be fair, although Johnny Cash recorded some great stuff he also had his share of complete rubbish too.

I like Rocket To Russsia.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-03-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Ooo, forgot about how good Cray was.

Hornsby is one of my absolute favorites and I would argue that his music has kind of a timeless feel to it because it's so unique.

There is something very Chesapeake Bay and unique sounding about him - this bluesy, folksy, rock, Mowtown thing all stirred up in a pot and poured out into his piano. Tall, he has a Rachmaninoff reach of the keys.

Plus he's one who can tell a big, poignant story in three short minutes, which I really like. He's superb live.
I've never seen him live, Surfermom. It's very rare we see him over in the UK but I know he's still making music. When we get to his classic album further up this list, I'll be playing three great tracks from it. And we must remember that Hornsby also wrote The End Of The Innocence for Don Henley. What an absolute classic that is.

There are some very informative posts from you Surfermom as always. I really do enjoy and look forward to reading them.
Why oh why though are you still the only woman who appears in this thread? Surely the other female members in here must enjoy some form of popular music?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-03-2018, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
To be fair, although Johnny Cash recorded some great stuff he also had his share of complete rubbish too.

I like Rocket To Russsia.
Johnny Cash really went out of favour in the 80s and early 90s. I think he was deemed old hat when country music fans were discovering the new breed such as Lyle Lovette and Garth Brooks.

No more Ramones though Ffosse.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Got bogged down here this afternoon with a much needed return to the gym, then had to hang around for a sofa being delivered (still not here yet!), so unfortunately won't have time for any albums folks! Keep the conversation going though, and you can always post your own relevant vids if you like
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 09:37 PM

Revisiting some back numbers of the magic list with new tunes.

976: "Ancient Heart" by Tanita Tikaram (1988)

https://youtu.be/T5emcbg_wZk

Twist in my Sobriety

Page 81 of 274 « First < 31 71 79 80 81 82 83 91 131 181 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top