Join for free
Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 11:14 PM

Re: Being old is boring

As one gets older brain cells die and other parts of the body have diminished capacity as well
So we lose interest in past hobbies or pleasure we loved in the past.
We lose our ability to concentrate

Fishing is a sport loved by men and some women too.
Years ago, it was a good excuse to get away fron the wife and family, especially if men took home a ‘Good Catch’ and wives quite liked the fact that their husbands were not under their feet all day,

Many older people at a certain age, feel they have to conform to the typical look of an older person

You see lots of older women with the same hairstyle and dull sensible clothing,

Many men start wearing Grand dad cardigans, except the bold ones who wear transparent miniscule underwear and very tight jeans
Gorden Bennet t! If one is sitting down and confronted with such a sight ..In your face!. Well! One does not know where to look.
And many people want to grow old disgracefully.

Being old is certainly not boring, lots of free time to pursue new interests ,even if there are a few health issues.

There is a time and a place for everything.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
As one gets older brain cells die and other parts of the body have diminished capacity as well
So we lose interest in past hobbies or pleasure we loved in the past.
We lose our ability to concentrate

Fishing is a sport loved by men and some women too.
Years ago, it was a good excuse to get away fron the wife and family, especially if men took home a ‘Good Catch’ and wives quite liked the fact that their husbands were not under their feet all day,

Many older people at a certain age, feel they have to conform to the typical look of an older person

You see lots of older women with the same hairstyle and dull sensible clothing,

Many men start wearing Grand dad cardigans, except the bold ones who wear transparent miniscule underwear and very tight jeans
Gorden Bennet t! If one is sitting down and confronted with such a sight ..In your face!. Well! One does not know where to look.
And many people want to grow old disgracefully.

Being old is certainly not boring, lots of free time to pursue new interests ,even if there are a few health issues.

There is a time and a place for everything.

Good post Azure.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 07:32 AM

MKJ, as a young lad Fishing, you would have had a fair bit of time to think, and the thought of what it must be like to be old, must have crossed your mind, and been mildly concerning. Conversely, sitting there today with Rod in Hand, your mind may struggle to remember, what it was like to be young, this is a matter of greater concern.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 08:37 AM

I obviously used the wrong title. This is what people are drawn to and commenting on - not my actual post!

Oh well, you live and learn. Wait: 'you live and learn'. Yes, there is something there for sure. What is this learning - this wisdom (supposedly)? Is it an accumulation of flawed knowledge imparted by whoever controls the media? Conditioning over a long period of time? Thinking of it this way the old can be deemed the most stupid in some respects.

Going to carry on with this today at some stage as there are various aspects of 'wisdom' that we haven't uncovered yet - that is if you can drag yourselves away from responding to the title and not the actual thread content itself that is .
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->

Oh well, you live and learn. Wait: 'you live and learn'. Yes, there is something there for sure. What is this learning - this wisdom (supposedly)? Is it an accumulation of flawed knowledge imparted by whoever controls the media? Conditioning over a long period of time? Thinking of it this way the old can be deemed the most stupid in some respects.
I think the opposite is more often true and the old are more likely to see through conditioning and are hence, less stupid than the young. Brexit was a classic example - according to the media, the older you were, the more likely you were to vote Leave - despite 40+ years of constant pro-EEC (and later Pro-EU) propaganda from the mainstream media. This shows that the old, because they can weigh propaganda against their own experience of reality, can resist the conditioning imposed by the corporate and political elites, unlike many young people who fell hook, line and sinker for the nonsense preached by the promoters of "Project Fear."
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 08:52 AM

Well "We are where we Are".
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 09:12 AM

URMC / Encyclopedia / Understanding the Teen Brain

Understanding the Teen Brain

It doesn’t matter how smart teens are or how well they scored on the SAT or ACT. Good judgment isn’t something they can excel in, at least not yet.

The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

In teen’s brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing—and not necessarily at the same rate. That’s why when teens experience overwhelming emotional input, they can’t explain later what they were thinking. They weren’t thinking as much as they were feeling.

So are we to assume that the young will test themselves in the world around them not worrying about the consequences ?

As we age and gather knowledge we can engage in many ways, trying out things that interest us, and as our world expands other opportunities open up to engage us. As we age health, wealth, time, play a part in what we can still do.

I am sure we get bored with some things, so we move on to other interests, age brings its own barriers to things our bodies can no longer fulfill our brains desires and that can lead to people closing down internally.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 09:24 AM

Hi

It is my view that as we get older it is our body which changes, not our mind.

I am still as inquisitive as ever, still as intelligent, but I do recognise that I am incapable of playing Rugby as well as I used to.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
On the contrary , I have found we learn largely by trial and error as we progress through life including what works what doesn't and those things which are really important to us in a life that has a limited span.
Of course we could all die at any time but if we don't there is a maximum time limit to our lives of which we become increasingly aware as we age.

I used to love playing cards/board games and was very competitive, now I find them boring time fillers and a waste of my precious limited time . I still play them with my grandchildren but losing is easy, there is no desire to win all competitiveness has gone.

I think to some extent we are 'programmed' to change making it easier for us to accept the limitations that come with age. I know how devastating it is for young people who have the natural drive of youth to suddenly become disabled and to be forced to accept their limitation because they are trapped in an unresponsive body. They haven't experienced the natural progression through life. Many older people have had the opportunity to utilise their natural drive and achieve certain goals and having had that experience, gradually slow down and accept the life changes that age brings without too much regret.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
but I do recognise that I am incapable of playing Rugby as well as I used to.
or even at all, in my case! Where did that nippy, tough scrum half go?

My other favourite sporting activity was rock climbing. Nowadays I can't even climb a ladder without losing my balance.

Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top