Join for free
Page 943 of 1010 « First < 443 843 893 933 941 942 943 944 945 953 993 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 05:06 PM

Re: What are you having for lunch/dinner?

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
British colloquial term for the gherkin. Originally it was London slang corruption of the word "Olive" but when Eastern European immigrants arrived in the late 19th Century they brought a liking for pickled cucumbers which, like olives, were sold from wooden barrels and also began to be referred to as a wallies (mostly in the east-end of London).

Could have been worse - could have called it a pickled w*illy!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Had Lambs Liver, Mash & Peas and thick onion gravy.
Mmm delicious, I love lamb's liver but can't always get it.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 06:06 PM

Seriously have none of you heard the word Wally?

Well chip shops in London when I was growing up always had big jars of HUGE gherkins for sale which Ive always known to be called Wallies

Its just traditional to have I guess. Nowadays at home we just buy the smaller gherkins , funnily enough we prefer the polish ones, but we still call them wallies

The vinegar is lovely on the chips
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 06:06 PM

Roast Chicken dinner for us tonight. Potatoes, sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, onion, cabbage and gravy.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 07:40 AM

Yes we have always called them Wally's, these days though, you go to a Fish and Chip shop who are Foreign and ask for a Wally, they don't know what you are talking about.

Todays its Fry-Up day. Egg, Bacon, Mushrooms, Sausage, Beans.

Val.J, how comes you can't get Liver, do you not have a Butchers or Supermarket where you live?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 08:22 AM

Yes we have always called them Wally's, these days though, you go to a Fish and Chip shop who are Foreign and ask for a Wally, they don't know what you are talking about.

Val.J, how comes you can't get Liver, do you not have a Butchers or Supermarket where you live?
Im so glad Im not the only one still calls them wallys

Today is my day off from proper cooking so what we eat all depends on what we do today. We were supposed to be going on a classic car rally with lunch provided but the car isn't ready, so food hasn't been thought about. Perhaps toasties or a pizza for tonight
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Mmm delicious, I love lamb's liver but can't always get it.

Val darlin' - if you have a Sainsburys near you, you should be able to get it - because that's where I get mine.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Seriously have none of you heard the word Wally?

Well chip shops in London when I was growing up always had big jars of HUGE gherkins for sale which Ive always known to be called Wallies

Its just traditional to have I guess. Nowadays at home we just buy the smaller gherkins , funnily enough we prefer the polish ones, but we still call them wallies

The vinegar is lovely on the chips

Yes Missy darlin' you could get 'wallies' from the local chippy, but in addition to jars of those on the Counter, ours used to have jars of pickled eggs at one end, and large jars of pickled onions at t'other end.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 12:40 PM

Hi

Roast vegetables, done in Olive Oil and loads of herbs.
Val J
East Yorkshire

07-04-2018, 12:59 PM

It’s just lamb’s liver which is difficult to get hold of at times, I don’t like other liver. Quite often it can’t be frozen so unable to buy in bulk.

Page 943 of 1010 « First < 443 843 893 933 941 942 943 944 945 953 993 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top