Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Re: Poverty today

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Then I suggest you try looking a little harder - yes, homeless people have fainted from hunger, one or two have even died, through a combination of cold, hunger and pulmonary diseases.
A homeless man died last week in this town, sleeping in Sainsbury's doorway, late afternoon.

There is also someone living in a tent on our local sports field, he/she have been there a month.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:25 AM

It's sad to think that each rough sleeper was once someone's child ,brother or sister . How do their lives come to this sad end ?
However most of these people have serious issues ,short of the police rounding them up every night and forcing them in shelters what can be done ?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:27 AM

It doesn't have to be an end though, does it?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:29 AM

I supose not if you say so I can't imagine a life on the streets .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:29 AM

I always wonder that too muddy, I wonder what their story is and how they ended up in their situation. So sad.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

14-12-2017, 10:35 AM

I know someone whose brother lives in a tent in a park .
Has done so for years .
He comes from a highly respectable family and once lived a normal life .
But for years he has lived in this tent rebuffing aggressively all attempts even to talk to his family .
He seems quite happy with his chosen way of life.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:47 AM

Maybe some people just don't want to be part of society? Maybe they decided not to conform? I think there maybe some who think like that but certainly not all.

Everyone who wants it should have a roof over their head and if as a society we can't afford it then as others have said we should cut back on overseas aid so we can.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Fainting from malnutrition? Where are these people? Just look around you do you see any thin malnourished people ?

Rubbish !
Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes , thankyou muddy, the report said people were fainting from malnutrition in the playground picking up their kids it also said women were bringing in washing to the school to be washed? I really do think the report was more fiction than fact and politically motivated.
Ok imagine this, you lose your job no fault of your own you are made redundant, your rents due you sign on, oh it's universal credit, six week wait for first money and it's not back dated, or it's the old system and surprise surprise it's a long complicated form you aren't best reader but you try. Hand it in and oh no you made a mistake. You are sanctioned no money for weeks. Or you have made your application, alls well you manage to pay your rent but due to delay in payment your landlord isn't happy, few weeks later you have a job application 2pm day you sign on, you contact the job centre someone says that's ok we will move your day to the following one. You go to your interview, don't get the job but it's a positive the chap says he will keep you in mind for next vacancy.

You go to your signing in and oh wait they haven't got you listed you've missed yesterday's appointment You have to go to a meeting following Tuesday, no money until after that. Well that's a problem you are down to pennies in your purse and you have an electric bill at home needs paying.

Following Tuesday arrives you are humiliated and treated like a child even though you know you got permission they sanction you and no money for 4 weeks.

Your hand is trembling when you ring your landlord.

The rest is history before your next rent is due you are sat in a doorway wondering where it all went wrong. You worked hard all your life you never missed a day of work, you were on forums rubbishing claims of anyone being poor these days only a month ago

I go by the mantra it could be me, only one pay day away from that doorway, that's the reality for most people that rent and work. One pay day away from the streets.

In bed and breakfast I met people like that. And sick people too asthmatic couldn't get a job, chap very socially awkward no hope of getting through an interview for a job but fit to work. Two ladies with young kids unable to get reliable childcare. And several just as I described the money from benefit just didn't arrive often enough to pay regular rent.

Drink and drugs ? I wouldn't have blamed them if they did but both places we stayed were sober houses. I don't drink haven't since the 80s but I'd have happily had a gin if it would have made the place feel better and I was only there for two weeks.

As I walked through town yesterday evening to my car, I counted 5 rough sleepers, Sally Army were out I pointed out two to them, police were harassing one young man to move tbh I was disgusted he had found a dry place it was raining hard and all he wanted was a dry place. Harming no one they could have let him sleep.

We have a hostel, not a nice place they aren't a sober house, you can lose your stuff to the thieves or get hurt by the violent ones. I don't blame anyone refusing that help.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 11:49 AM

This is a town of about 80,000 people and I understand there are over thirty rough sleepers. Also, the latest statistics are that 18.2% of children in the Borough are in poverty.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The irony.....is it only me that see's this?

Skint, living in poverty but......needing to charge their mobiles because they can/'t afford the electricity
My Son had a top of the range phone when he was working. He's not changed it since he lost his job, but he still needs a phone, just because he has had to claim benefits doesn't mean he should not have a good phone.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top