Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Re: Brexit Talks New Agenda.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I freely admit to not knowing much about finances, tariffs, etc. On that basis, I might naively ask whether, if the EU applies punitive tariffs on our services, wouldn't they be shooting themselves in the foot?

Surely, if they don't need or want the services we offer, why don't they just obtain them from elsewhere?
Hi

WTO Rules apply solely to manufactured goods, and agricultural and fisheries products.

There is no provision for them to have Tariffs applied, however they are often included in Free Trade Agreements.

A Hard Brexit works for the EU.

Their Exports to the UK will incur around £8.6 Billion in Tariffs payable to the UK, because they export more WTO Goods to the UK than the UK Exports to the EU.

Our Nett Contributions to the EU are around the same, so together a Hard Brexit will cost the EU £17 to £18 Billion a year.

No Deal means that the EU simply do not license our Services, which means the Companies concerned will have to move their Headquarters from the UK to the EU and pay tax there, not in the UK.

This is already happening with the big International Banks and Insurers.

Euro Clearing alone, which is in London, is £800 Billion a day, the Tax on which is around £20 Billion a year.

The EU will be £2 Billion a year better off just on that alone.

Hence they are not bothered about a Trade Deal with the UK.

Brexit is a big thing here in the UK, in the EU it is rarely mentioned in the Media, they are not really that fussed about it.

The UK is a big economy, but trade wise it only Exports 3.5% of World Trade, the EU has bigger fish to fry, for example Japan, which they are concentrating on at the moment.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Big business doesn't care for patriotism or chest beating and flag waving. It will go where conditions are best to guarantee good returns for shareholders. What is the government doing to encourage big business to stay here? Zilch. The EU hold all the cards.

DUP are strongly against hard brexit. They insist on agreement re the Irish border which brings in massive daily trade.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Looking at it from afar I have to say that Brexit looks like a train wreck with the British people the victims. I feel sorry for the young people who will live with the consequences for decades.

The EU stated their case at the beginning and have been pretty consistent in their aims but the British government, as incompetent as any British government since the war, seem to have no idea about negotiating on the international stage. They made it even worse by having an unnecessary election, shooting themselves in the foot and then squabbling about it.

However it ends it will end badly I fear.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bruce ->
looking at it from afar i have to say that brexit looks like a train wreck with the british people the victims. I feel sorry for the young people who will live with the consequences for decades.

The eu stated their case at the beginning and have been pretty consistent in their aims but the british government, as incompetent as any british government since the war, seem to have no idea about negotiating on the international stage. They made it even worse by having an unnecessary election, shooting themselves in the foot and then squabbling about it.

However it ends it will end badly i fear.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 01:43 PM

And another from me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 01:57 PM

But not from me!

For every person I hear saying Brexit will be bad for us, I hear another 20 who are very confident that we will succeed in the long run.

That's rather better than the just over 50% in the referendum, isn't it?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But not from me!

For every person I hear saying Brexit will be bad for us, I hear another 20 who are very confident that we will succeed in the long run.

That's rather better than the just over 50% in the referendum, isn't it?
Very strange, I would say that I meet a lot more that realise the almighty mess we are headed for.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 03:45 PM

Me too.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Quite honestly I haven“t come across anyone yet who thinks leaving the EU is a good thing. I speak to a lot of people here, holiday makers, people with holiday homes etc. Last week we were talking to a Met policeman on holiday with his wife, he said he thinks the UK have made the biggest mistake ever, it was based on lies, and had the referendum been held again the very next day it would have been a very different outcome.

I was also talking to a retired couple on Monday who have bought a place over here and are in the process of getting their residencia. They asked me when I was last in UK, I told them 4 years, they said I hadn“t missed anything, it was now a very miserable place. They were from Lancashire.

My sympathies are with the young people, the older ones, for example such as us, have what they need, we“ve had our careers, we have our homes, we“ve had our chances, whether we“ve taken them or not, but now the young people growing up will have their chances severely restricted.

The things a great majority of people really thought they were voting for, immigration for the most part, whether people here want to believe it or not, won“t change, they will still keep flooding in, just not from Europe.

To ruin a country because of prejudice against certain people seems to me to be somewhat silly. I“m no politician, I simply see things as they are, but I“m not stupid either and it doesn“t take a genius to see how things will be for many years to come.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Quite honestly I haven“t come across anyone yet who thinks leaving the EU is a good thing. I speak to a lot of people here, holiday makers, people with holiday homes etc. Last week we were talking to a Met policeman on holiday with his wife, he said he thinks the UK have made the biggest mistake ever, it was based on lies, and had the referendum been held again the very next day it would have been a very different outcome.

I was also talking to a retired couple on Monday who have bought a place over here and are in the process of getting their residencia. They asked me when I was last in UK, I told them 4 years, they said I hadn“t missed anything, it was now a very miserable place. They were from Lancashire.

My sympathies are with the young people, the older ones, for example such as us, have what they need, we“ve had our careers, we have our homes, we“ve had our chances, whether we“ve taken them or not, but now the young people growing up will have their chances severely restricted.

The things a great majority of people really thought they were voting for, immigration for the most part, whether people here want to believe it or not, won“t change, they will still keep flooding in, just not from Europe.

To ruin a country because of prejudice against certain people seems to me to be somewhat silly. I“m no politician, I simply see things as they are, but I“m not stupid either and it doesn“t take a genius to see how things will be for many years to come.
Well that's one group of opinions.

If we remained under the jackboot, how much longer do you suppose it would be before Germany achieved its ultimate goal of the Fourth Reich, and how much longer after that before non-Germans were under forced labour, or worse?

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top