Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 04:14 AM

Re: Humans Have Stopped Evolving

Originally Posted by Seth ->
Abby, I understand how hard it is for a child, especially if blonde and with a puppy, Yes people are fatter and bigger and more of us, but you cannot get something from nothing, only from what exists in one form or another.
[B]We are the guests at the table of life, but soon to be the hosts./B]
Do not forget seth I also got a smart phone which makes the child is all knowing

"but you cannot get something from nothing, only from what exists" how then do you explain Virgin Mary and the Miraculous conception ?

I like We are the guests at the table of life, but soon to be the hosts.

Would you like to trade for

Life is short, but there is always time enough for courtesy

Somehow this does not feel like home - I seem to be always lost here
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
Evolution advances in time. Advancement is not a qualitative term. The 'superiority' is simply the ability of the organism to adapt to the environment it exists in. If it cannot exist in that environment it will not reproduce because it can't function properly. It can't feed, it can't stand the climate, it gets too much sunlight or too little. It simply does not survive to procreate.
Constant mutation provides the tools for adaptation or the organisms that can survive the change of the environment.
Some organism's adaptations include the ability to manipulate their environment so they may survive. That could include clothing, structures or tools.
BIB: those are the lines along which my thoughts travel - have we 'changed' the environment to suit our needs so that evolution (for the human being) is no longer necessary or even thought to be needed? I know we are, generally, taller now that we used to be due to better living conditions but has much else changed?
Seth
Black Rock Vic. Australia
Seth is male  Seth has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Abby yes we are reusable, we return to the earth as dust or ashes, nutrients for other forms of life which as it progresses once again returns, Just like any other form of life. We live in a self sustaining world, marvelous.
Seth
Seth is male  Seth has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Abby ->
Do not forget seth I also got a smart phone which makes the child is all knowing

"but you cannot get something from nothing, only from what exists" how then do you explain Virgin Mary and the Miraculous conception ?This is where belief/ faith is. If you believe in a creator, then you have faith anything is possible.

I like We are the guests at the table of life, but soon to be the hosts.

Would you like to trade for

Life is short, but there is always time enough for courtesyI fully agree

Somehow this does not feel like home - I seem to be always lost here
I feel at home anywhere, as long as the tucker is free and tasty.
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 07:43 PM

I was wrong about clothing. Here's a better description of adaptation in the framework of climate change.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolib..._climatechange

"The word adapt has different meanings in everyday language and in evolutionary biology. In common language, we might say that we adapt to warm weather by wearing light-colored clothes and drinking lots of water. Used in this way, adapting often means changing one's behavior to suit the circumstances. But in evolutionary biology, the term has a precise — and different — meaning. In evolution, to adapt means to experience natural selection that improves the function of a trait in a particular environment — i.e., to evolve via natural selection. Swapping a dark sweater for a light t-shirt is not adaptation in an evolutionary sense since it involves no evolution at all. The process of evolutionary adaptation is one experienced by whole populations over many generations, not by an individual organism over the course of a sweltering afternoon (or a lifetime, for that matter).
Evolutionary biology has a special term to describe changes in an individual organism over the course of its lifetime: phenotypic plasticity. That's a mouthful, but the idea is straightforward. An organism's phenotype is simply its set of features, and to be plastic means to be moldable or changeable — so phenotypic plasticity just means that an organism's features can be molded, or influenced to some degree, by its environment. You can think of it as the "nurture" side of the nature/nurture debate. The concept encompasses all sorts of changes to individual organisms, including developmental changes (e.g., an organism reaching a larger body size if it gets good nutrition as a juvenile, but reaching a smaller size on poor nutrition), behavioral changes (e.g., a polar bear eating goose eggs instead of seals, if seals become hard to catch and eggs are plentiful), and physical changes (e.g., a rabbit that grows white fur in the winter and brown fur in the summer). Phenotypic plasticity includes any sort of change to an individual that isn't caused by changes in its genes."
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
I was wrong about clothing. Here's a better description of adaptation in the framework of climate change.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolib..._climatechange

"The word adapt has different meanings in everyday language and in evolutionary biology. In common language, we might say that we adapt to warm weather by wearing light-colored clothes and drinking lots of water. Used in this way, adapting often means changing one's behavior to suit the circumstances. But in evolutionary biology, the term has a precise — and different — meaning. In evolution, to adapt means to experience natural selection that improves the function of a trait in a particular environment — i.e., to evolve via natural selection. Swapping a dark sweater for a light t-shirt is not adaptation in an evolutionary sense since it involves no evolution at all. The process of evolutionary adaptation is one experienced by whole populations over many generations, not by an individual organism over the course of a sweltering afternoon (or a lifetime, for that matter).
Evolutionary biology has a special term to describe changes in an individual organism over the course of its lifetime: phenotypic plasticity. That's a mouthful, but the idea is straightforward. An organism's phenotype is simply its set of features, and to be plastic means to be moldable or changeable — so phenotypic plasticity just means that an organism's features can be molded, or influenced to some degree, by its environment. You can think of it as the "nurture" side of the nature/nurture debate. The concept encompasses all sorts of changes to individual organisms, including developmental changes (e.g., an organism reaching a larger body size if it gets good nutrition as a juvenile, but reaching a smaller size on poor nutrition), behavioral changes (e.g., a polar bear eating goose eggs instead of seals, if seals become hard to catch and eggs are plentiful), and physical changes (e.g., a rabbit that grows white fur in the winter and brown fur in the summer). Phenotypic plasticity includes any sort of change to an individual that isn't caused by changes in its genes."
Yes indeed. Kinda adds weight to my argument that we simply alter our surroundings than adapt ourselves anymore. Evolution comes from strife and hardship doesn't it over a long period by successive generations, or by a distinct need or threat? The human race in civilised society is hardly under duress from any of that. Intellectually something might develop over a long period maybe. We do seem to yearn for a greater purpose. Who knows.
Seth

15-09-2013, 01:00 AM

Adaption and Evolution, it seems all forms of life adapt to their where they live, but as far as one species 'evolving' into another is far from proven.
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2013, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Seth ->
Adaption and Evolution, it seems all forms of life adapt to their where they live, but as far as one species 'evolving' into another is far from proven.
Hmm! My dear seth

Why do you look like a rabbit then

Is that adaptation from where you live
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2013, 04:40 AM

Species change happens all the time. Evolution is what modern biology is based on. Look at the definition of theory. Or this cut and past on evolution as fact and theory from this wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evoluti...act_and_theory

"Many scientists and philosophers of science have described evolution as fact and theory, a phrase which was used as the title of an article by Stephen Jay Gould in 1981. He describes fact in science as meaning data, not absolute certainty but "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of such facts. The facts of evolution come from observational evidence of current processes, from imperfections in organisms recording historical common descent, and from transitions in the fossil record. Theories of evolution provide a provisional explanation for these facts.[1]

Each of the words 'evolution', 'fact' and 'theory' has several meanings in different contexts. Evolution means change over time, as in stellar evolution. In biology it refers to observed changes in organisms, to their descent from a common ancestor, and at a technical level to a change in gene frequency over time; it can also refer to explanatory theories such as Darwin's theory of natural selection which explain the mechanisms of evolution. Fact can mean to a scientist a repeatable observation that all can agree on; it can mean something that is so well established that nobody in a community disagrees with it; it can also refer to the truth or falsity of a proposition. To the public, theory can mean an opinion or conjecture ("it's only a theory"), but in the scientific world it has a much stronger connotation of "well-substantiated explanation". With this number of choices, people often end up talking past each other, and meanings become the subject of linguistic analysis.

Evidence for evolution continues to be accumulated and tested. The scientific literature includes statements by evolutionary biologists and philosophers of science demonstrating some of the different perspectives on evolution as fact and theory."
Seth

15-09-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Abby ->
Hmm! My dear seth

Why do you look like a rabbit then

Is that adaptation from where you live
Abby you are delving into my inner, self protective, reasoning.:
But just for you only My sub conscious knew that everyone loves cute rabbits, {Roasted, fried, stewed,etc} some even love them as pets.

No they are scarce here by the beach, one comes in from the neighbours a black one, for a feed, it loves circling the ducks that fly in, but doesn't harm them.

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top